Aftermarket MS660 finish assembly and first cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice video weimedog.
I rebuilt a couple 066s that are about 50%oem and 50% farmertech parts.
The first saw I built I used the 54 mm farmertech top end with a factory dual port muffler and original carb. The saw runs beautifully. It's wears a 36" forester bar and full skip semi chisel chain. I sold it to an arborist buddy who uses it for stumping and for larger trees. He loves the saw.
The second saw I rebuilt for myself. I used the 56mm farmertech top end on it. I ported it, muffler modded it, modded the original carb, max flow air filter and also advanced the timing half the thickness of the key way. It wears a 36" stihl ES bar with full skip full chisel chain. This saw is a total animal to run. I did notice with my farmertech big bore kit that it actually free ported almost .030" right out of the box. The saw was a PIA to get tuned but once I got it...wow, what a monster.
I also found the farmertech chain adjusters were junk. They felt real tight when new and eventually the adjuster threads got trashed. I replaced them with oem and haven't had any issues since.

First thanks for the feed back! And the info. That would explain its low speed issue although I have been able to tune most of the symptoms out of it..... another reason why big motors are fun. Everything is less critical. Have to wonder if a piston from something else 56mm might help. And it is a power house even with its idiosyncrasies. Its been fun.

It might be fun for you and others who did similar builds to post both pictures and their stories...

Would really like to have a thread /discussion where you folks who have done this build will post stories/pics/video's of your experience....

I have 3 more 066s to rebuild/restore in the near future. At least 1 of these builds will have the 56mm farmertec top end. The other 2 builds will likely have the 54mm farmertec top ends. I'll be sure to do a build thread with a bunch of pictures for at least 1 of the rebuilds.

Just to update, my ported 066 Farmertec BB is still running like a champ and the 066 54mm I built for my arborist buddy is also still going great. IMHO the farmertec piston and cylinder kits seem to be great. Awesome power and decent quality with a real good price to boot.

Latest posts

Back