air circulation and fan use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oifla

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hello all,

heading into the wood burning season around these parts and, as always, i am looking for potential tips, strategies, etc. on how to best make use of the heat generated by my wood stove.

our setup is fairly basic: wood burning steel stove in the (finished and insulated) basement and a fan over the edge of the staircase that leads to the basement to help pull the warm air from the basement. the fan is on a timer and it cycles on and off every hour or so and this system seems to work fairly well in terms of warming the common areas.

what i'm not having much luck on is drawing cool air out of and warm into the bedrooms (they are all on the same floor as the common areas). right now there's a pretty good temperature gap between the common areas and the back bedroom (about 10-15 degrees) and i am hoping to do something to narrow that some but i feel like i don't know enough about air circulation to do so.

any suggestions and/or helpful sites to recommend? thanks

Have you tried having the furnance fan running all the time to circulate the air in the whole house. Problem with blowing a fan out of the basement is the air in the bedrooms (cold) need removed before the air (warm) can be put into the room.

I put ceiling fans in all three bedrooms running in reverse on low speed to create a draw and it made a sizable difference in evening out the house.
We have a 60' ranch with the fireplace insert on one end in the familyroom/ kitchen and three bedrooms on the other end of the house.
They are great in the summer time also, keeping the A/C bill down.

Latest posts

Back