Alone in the Wilderness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was one cool dude and most of us have prolly had the thought
at some point in our lives. He however acted on it I would have
had a dog and probably another companion for the cold winter nights!

Human companion

It would have been a lot easier finding a female companion in 1968 to move to Alaska than it would now in my opinion.

Looking at our energy and economic problems I think we are in for some tough times. If you got a place to call your own and its paid for consider yourself to be very fortunate.

I have the DVD and absolutely love it. Its one of the most relaxing and at the same time inspiring videos. I visited Alaska with my parents and siblings when I was maybe 15 and loved it. We took a pretty pampered trip though, and part of me yearns for the chance to experience just a taste of the adventure he lived.

Now its near the top of the list for my wife and me to go to along with our kids. I can't wait to go back.

I haven't seen the other 2 videos, but I think I'll be ordering them soon.

The man could work! I couldn't believe how high the walls were at the end of day one. He says something like, 'I should be able to get more done tomorrow.'

J. D.

I think the man had more human contact than the video implies. From reading his book and watching a follow up video he left his cabin periodically by plane and traveled around Alaska. There were also other cabins on Twin Lakes and hunters were numerous at times.

Granted in the winter months while he was there he was along for long periods of time. I would have had a dog at least to have kept from climbing the walls.

Your right... As i've said here before, i lived in Alaska for 25 years, and i didn't live all that far from him myself. (as the crow flies) I hunted all over around there, and even took my dad hunting over that way... Anyone who wanted to hunt caribou pretty much had to fly through Lake Clark Pass, and that's pretty close to where he lived...

Some of my friends use to fly in things to him, and folks even gave him things, just because... It didn't cost all that much to fly back then...few had insurance, and many didn't even bother to get a pilot license... Most just used auto gas in their planes...

None the less, he was a tough old guy, and very talented...

Rob

I just stopped by http://www.d i c k.proenneke.com and discovered that the Swerers have released another RLP dvd that I did not mention in my earlier post. It's called "The Frozen North." Here's an excerpt from their description:

"...[RLP] kept written journals of daily life at Twin Lakes but would also document much of his adventure on film with his 16 mms Bolex camera. The Frozen North is [RLP]'s own filmed account of his life alone in this "One Man's Wilderness", produced from original footage not included in "Alone in the Wilderness" or "Alaska Silence & Solitude"."

New release of RLP's own film footage. :clap: I haven't seen it yet, but will post a review when my copy arrives. :) Since a direct link to the page would be ####'d by the censor, here is a tinyurl to the Frozen North dvd page: http://tinyurl.com/2kepe8

The frozen North

I bought this DVD...its really good too. The man even panned for gold and it shows a mother lode he struck on it.

I just ordered and received the book...More reading from One Man's Wilderness. Its a journal he wrote from 1974 to 1980. Looks VERY interesting. It has maps and pictures in color.

The book is sold by the Alaska Land Conservatory. It wasnt cheap but its a good one...MIKE

Hey TNMike! You'll enjoy "More Readings...." I found RLP's every day life as interesting as his cabin construction, and you may find it even more so if you knew him.

I'm glad to hear that "The Frozen North" is a winner. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Did I understand you correctly in your earlier post that you worked for RLP? What did you do-- diesel mechanic? bush pilot? Do tell us, please!

I dont know the man

I never met him., I have been intrigued by his video and books. Im hoping that one summer my wife and I can drive up the Alcan hwy to Alaska and rent a plane to see his cabin.

Just saw it on public tv while waiting for a pay per view cage fight---great movie that guy is really talented

I just have to know...

Why he kept the water hole open in the lake when he could have just melted snow for drinking and cooking?

According to what he wrote in his journals, RLP kept a log of the thickness of the ice throughout the winter. Making observations and recording them was a significant part of his activities at Twin Lakes.

melting snow

Nope, never tried it. Ever. But I would think if I had all day to get it done it would take much less energy to melt snow than chop ice. I would think the wood stove would be going anyways so I dont get it.

I could understand doing it to track the ice thickness, if that is why it was done.

I think he covered his ice hole with something so he would not have to chop though so much ice----it takes alot of powdery snow for 5 gallons of water---he might have been busy whittling toothpicks out of 4X4's or making a rocket ship out of a hollowed out log or something--the guy is my hero

Ice hole

He did cover the hole and I am sure with that in mind it was a lot easier to do than to melt snow or ice. Keeping the hole clear wasnt that much of a job on a day to day basis.

I have watched the video about six or eight times and it is always inspring to me. I am reading his journal and it is very good. The man was very talented in several areas. He was a sought after diesel mechanic and was also a pilot. He was involved in a plane crash caused by carb icing and had to crawl several miles to a road for assistance .( crushed vertebrae)

This thread has been very interesting.

Back