American Made Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCullough

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Curious if any chainsaw brands are made in America. If I recall correctly Stihl's site said they had a plant in the U.S. though this could simply be assembly as opposed to the manufacture of the parts. I'd like to think I putting Americans to work as opposed to some front company for the Chinese Communist Government in Asia. I was greatly disappointed with the cheaping of the McCullough name with their recent Asian made saws; well actually pissed.

The only saws I know of that are still built in the US are the Stihls made in Virginia beach. other than those, there are practically no brands building saws in the USA anymore.

Poulan assemble saws and Weed Wackers somewhere south, not sure if they actually manufacture any parts there themselves however.

I think that all Stihl models less than 70 ccs that are sold in North America is either made or at least assambled at Virginia beach. Most of these, if not all, models are also made in Germany

My little Poulan in Partner clothing says simply "Made in USA".

All stihls begining with serial #1 are made in virginia beach. Units begining with#2 are made in germany. German units are ms 200t, ms 440 and above and cutoff saws. i think that the big brushcutter are also made in germany. The parts are also manufactured where they are assembled.

Solo is made in newport news virginia about 40 miles from me and stihl in virginia beach va about 30 miles from me. Im surprised husky doesn't have a factory in the states.

DanManofStihl said:
..... Im surprised husky doesn't have a factory in the states.
They don't, but the parent company E-lux own Poulan, which makes consumer quality Huskys (137 and 142 at the moment).

I must admit that I am surpriced to read that SOLOs are made in the US - are you sure that they actually make the saws there?

You are right some of the parts aren't made in the U.S. Pistons, cyl's all the plastic parts are made at the beach. not sure about the crankcases though.

Makes on wonder in this day and age where things are made i recall that when i done some time at the McCulloch factory out here in Australia in the late 70's seeing huge pallet loads of cast components waiting to visit the spray booth then the assembly line. But these days are gone it would be a bugger of a thing to see made in china and assembled in the USA on Stihls wouldn't it, then would you fellas stihl buy their product ?? After all at the end of the day these companies are out to make money and keep shareholders happy. How do you write Stihl in Chinese ??.

Mc Bob.

Stihl doesn't have shareholders, they are a private owned company. And by the expanding they are doing here and in Germany, I don't think they are hurting for money.

"After all at the end of the day these companies are out to make money and keep shareholders happy."

True, but in the end these companies are hurting themselves. They are more interested in short term profits than anything long term. As this companies contually move their production to China they put more Americans out of work, thus they will less and les people able to buy their saws. Certainly your average Chinese worker in not going to buy a saw. So by moving production to the U.S., or keeping it here in the first place, they help the very economy in which they expect to sell their saws. Certainly items can be made here just as cheaply, but this requires modernation and automation as opposed to just surrendering to short term profits. I guess U.S. manufacturers should take at look at Ford in the early 1900s when they raised wages to an unheard of price of $5.00 per day for unskilled labor under the reasoning that they could sell more cars if an average worker could afford to buy one; of course the wage increase was really only possible because Ford modernized plants so that the cost per unit could be reduced.

I think i'll just sit back and wait and see, but i'm going to have to start learning Chinese don't worry as the Chinese get geared up and they refine their quality levels a heck of a lot more stuff will end up being made there, look how fast we accepted the European saws over your locally manufactured saws and that money didn't stay but was returned to Europe along with the job's that you fellas lost to them.

Don't worry Stihl is not immortal and it's day will come just enjoy it whilst it's here.

Mc Bob.

Not that I'm a big Stihl guy, you are probably onto something there bro. I just hope the same thing don't happen to them as Homelite and Mac, but I fear your right, Husky is applying pressure to the neck.
BTW, made in America really don't matter to me when it is owned by an overseas company. Please God, bring back Homelite and Mac!!

p38lightning said:
Please God, bring back Homelite and Mac!!

To be honest I wish that pioneer would go back into business as they made very good saws in thier day

I spotted a MAC 441 in a hardware store the other day which had more plastic than michael jackson on it and also had the electrolux logo on the box

Latest posts

Back