An ounce of prep...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
Between Stihl RS, RSF, and RM in varying loops of 20" and 28", I'd amassed a small collection of chains all needing attention hanging on the garage wall; not to mention all the picco loops for the limbing/pallet saw... Figured it was about time to get them all back in shape for the coming cutting season. :monkey: So there I stood for a couple hours, beer by my side, hovering over the vise, hand filing every last one :msp_razz:

I'd fallen out of the habit of cleaning up chains when done cutting; instead, opting to hang them on the wall just to be forgotten about. It caught up with me when I rocked my chain bucking some skidded logs, went to grab a fresh loop to keep on going, and saw nothing but the bottom of the saw box! :(:laugh:

I can gladly say I'm prepared once again.

I need to get on that job. Had it planned for today to do at least 3 20" loops and check to see what I have hanging waiting. Important things go in the way. Internut, email, etc. until it is now almost beer 30 so...

My first 'wooding' expedition is looking good for friday - drop and cleanup a small locust - may 1/2 cord. Depends on whether any Home Health Care people want to come then for my wife.

Harry K

Last edited:
Now don't get me wrong; I'm all for touching the chain up every tank or (usually) two with the file out in the woods. Just, it's nice having the backups in the saw box in case. :cool2:

Plus, they were taunting me, constantly hanging on the wall reminding me of their uselessness until I tended to their needs :laugh:

I need to get on that job. Had it planned for today to do at least 3 20" loops and check to see what I have hanging waiting. Important things go in the way. Internut, email, etc. until it is now almost beer 30 so...

My first 'wooding' expedition is looking good for friday - drop and cleanup a small locust - may 1/2 cord. Depends on whether any Home Health Care people want to come then for my wife.

Harry K

Hit the shop to start on sharping chains. Not as bad as I though. One on the saw and two on the bench. Did the saw one, swapped the chains and, Jeeeze, _rock job_. Had to think when. Then I recalled cutting a locust with a kids tree house in it. Did hit nails and did a way better job of 'rocking it' than I thought. 7 strokes with new file didn't even come close to cleaning it up. I think I will take to dealer and pay the $10.00 to get it straightened out.

Put the last chain off for a better day, Wind blowing in the 50s today and summat chilly out there.

Harry K

swapped the chains and, Jeeeze, _rock job_. Had to think when. Then I recalled cutting a locust with a kids tree house in it. Did hit nails and did a way better job of 'rocking it' than I thought.

:laugh:

I had a similar moment. Was working on a loop of full skip and thought, now why the hell do I have two right hand cutters and 5 tie straps in between them... :msp_confused: Oh right... that was that angle iron barbed wire fence post hiding in that little batch of brush trees; took most of the cutter off so I had filed it all the way off! :D

Back