Another BIG Pine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When i was at the "Sawmill Shootout" in S.C. last weekend, the one thing folks said to me was, "Post More Pictures!!".... So, here's some more picts.!

I'm harvesting and sawing some "decent" white pine right now, and here's one i harvested a week or so ago.

standard.jpg

Once i had it on the ground and limbed, i skidded it out to where i could carry it to keep the dirt off it... Even a "little" dirt dulls a chain saw chain or band mill band quite fast so i try to keep my logs off the ground as much as possible... I have to be VERY carefull carrying a big log like this, because it's VERY easy to tip the tractor over sideways on uneven ground... Look at that back tire...

standard.jpg

Once i had the log to the "running gear", i loaded it up for the trip home...

standard.jpg

Once loaded up it's time to get out on the road, and head to the mill. As you can see, sometimes i just carry a log or two on the forks too...

standard.jpg

Once at the mill site, i loaded the log on the mill...

standard.jpg

Here it is, ready to saw!!

standard.jpg

At 16' 6" long and 30" in diameter, this log will make some nice 2x12's and maybe even a 6" x 10" beam or two!

standard.jpg

It won't be too long and i'll be sawing this big boy up!!

Hope you liked the picts. :)

Rob

Great pics Rob... I love it. Some day I'll have a larger stationary mill... just a matter or time. I'd like to see some pics of you milling this thing. Get your wife/girlfriend/whomever out there taking some pics while you push that thing down the log.

Nice pictures, Rob. Looks like I'll have to quit making fun of that pop rivet mill :jester:

I'd sure like to see a few pictures of your log turner in action with that 30" pine, it would help when I start re-fabing mine. I have problems when the logs get over about 25" and would like to make a few changes to it.

Keep the pictures coming :cheers:

how does the lumbermate compare to a wood mizer

Woodmizers LT15 is in the same class as Norwoods LM2000. I've sawn on a couple LT15's and they are a nice mill... Both Mizer and Norwood are great companys but you will pay more for an LT15 (someone has to pay for all that lit you keep getting) over a LM2000 and the Mizer has less capacity than the Lumbermate.

I like the idea that i can buy any accessories that Norwood offers at a later date and bolt them right on. Everything on the mill is simple to work on and easily replaced... The berrings are standard and can be bought locally... It's a proven mill that's been around for a while, in fact Norwood "invented" this class of sawmill for folks that wanted a very accurate personal sawmill.

Mizer has a reputation of building things so you will have to come back to them and pay their price...

"If" i was buying a hydraulic sawmill, i'd look at a couple different brands includeing Woodmizer, but when it comes to a manual mill, IMHO Norwood easily wins...

Rob

Handlings logs with a front end loader

A few word on tractor stability:

Handling logs in the front end loader as shows is a good idea, but can be very dangerous without proper rear load to make the tractor more stable. In Scandinavia, water + glycol filling (75%) of rear wheels are used by some to get this result. Its also possible to make a concrete ballast for the 3 point hitch. This also reduces front axle stress, and I have seen several front axles after collapsing from a high front load.

Nice to see the Swedish loader used overseas! I also have the same brand, but some years older. A high quality tool for sure.

We used to use salt water in our tires to give weight to our skidders and feller-bunchers. The salt kept it from freezing of course, as does the glycol in esbjugs post.

Handling logs in the front end loader as shows is a good idea, but can be very dangerous without proper rear load to make the tractor more stable. In Scandinavia, water + glycol filling (75%) of rear wheels are used by some to get this result.

Esbjug,

I have over 700 pounds of liguid in each rear now, and a little weight on the 3 point... Obviously when carrying loads like the above log, you have to be extremely carefull, and i am...

I guess that "Swedish" loader is just too powerfull! :)

Rob

Esbjug,

I have over 700 pounds of liguid in each rear now, and a little weight on the 3 point... Obviously when carrying loads like the above log, you have to be extremely carefull, and i am...

I guess that "Swedish" loader is just too powerfull! :)

Rob

Good to hear Rob! I try to carry som heavy object at the rear of the tractor when handling logs with the front end loader. My forest trailer/crane is usually enough.

Stabiliy is important, as shown in the pictures included. This is my tractor, driven by a family member last September. Hard to belive, but only a minor repair had to be done (covered on the insurance). Nothing happend to the driver, except a bit damaged ego. The tractor is a Finnish Valmet, known to be very solid! Things could have gone much worse, so we were lucky this time.

To sum up: Let the tool handle the object, not the object handle the tool

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back