Another homemade log arch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'd been threatening to build an arch for getting logs out for several years so I went ahead and built it after we had a bunch of big trees come down during a duracho this past summer on the backside of the place. Should've done it a lot sooner. All that's left is to add a saw scabbard and a peavey holder.IMG_20131116_114438.jpg IMG_20131116_114500.jpg IMG_20131116_114526.jpg

Is that your New Holland skidder in the background? Why not just use that, too heavy for some terrain?

Is that your New Holland skidder in the background? Why not just use that, too heavy for some terrain?
Yep, that's my skid steer. Most of the logs that I bring out are too long to fit through the trees carrying them in the grapple, it's a lot easier to bring them out longways. Skidsteers don't do real well in off cambered terrain in the woods either. I have spent more time than I care to pulling it off of trees that it's slid sideways into. A little moisture on the ground and it gets real interesting fast.

Yup, mud and soft greasy ground are the arch enemy of the skid steer. All that weight and a small footprint. I sure would be lost mine without though. i don't have a log arch, so in tight woodlots I usually cut logs to 6 feet and carry them out sideways.

Nice job on the arch. Most of the time I cut and load my trailer while in the woods but lately I was thinking that pulling out some of the logs while the ground was dry would be much faster. That arch would do the trick for sure.

Latest posts

Back