another hyd problem/question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a prince rd 5000 2 spool valve, barnes 22gpm 2 stage
when splitting if i have a gnarly peice my gauge will show 2000 psi, the cylinder will stop pushing, the engine even at idle will not bog or show any sign of a load.
my guess is the bypass setting? the paper that came with valve says nothing about how / where to adjust this.

Your 22gpm two stage pump will deliver 21.7gpm at 3600rpm high stage
low stage will deliver 7.25gpm at 3600rpm

at 2000psi and low satge 7.25gpm, the required power at 3600 rpm will be
2000x7.25/1714´8.5hp.....
BUT if idling at lets say 1000rpm, flow will be about 2gpm and required power at 2000psi will be 2.35hp....

What is the power rating on your engine???

If gauge is showing 2000psi it should still labor your engine a little...it is 2.35hp output...:confused:

I would start with checking the drive between pump and engine.....lovejoy and shaft keys

The adjustment for the pressure relief is on the front of the valve just to the left of the levers. It is set standard for 2000psi.

im running a 18 horse twin cyl brigs
doesnt make a difference if idle or high rpm if it hits 2000 psi it wont push anymore and wont labor the engine at all

any one know which direction and roughly how much will effect pressure??
am i looking at say 1/4 turn or full turn
how sensitive is the adjustment?/

im running a 18 horse twin cyl brigs
doesnt make a difference if idle or high rpm if it hits 2000 psi it wont push anymore and wont labor the engine at all

any one know which direction and roughly how much will effect pressure??
am i looking at say 1/4 turn or full turn
how sensitive is the adjustment?/

Valve description
Parts
Plumbing

It is impossible (and dangerous) to say how much pressure change a quarter turn on the screw will do....every valve is different.....

Adjust pressure "live"....under pressure...

Start by adjust screw counter clockwise (lower pressure), that will give you some sense about how sensitive screw adjustment is....
ALWAYS use a proper gauge (0-3000psi or 0-5000psi) for pressure adjustment...

thanks, AK
yes i have a gauge 0- 5000
you think its ok to run around 2800 psi?
2000 just seems a little low

now im having trouble with the new pump it sounds like a jack hammer
similair to a engine rodnock

thanks, AK
yes i have a gauge 0- 5000
you think its ok to run around 2800 psi?
2000 just seems a little low

now im having trouble with the new pump it sounds like a jack hammer
similair to a engine rodnock

Your engine will definately handle it...way over powered LOL....but thats good...will last longer then.....
About raising pressure to 2800psi it is a matter of how pump, valve, hoses and cylinder can handle it...Check the ratings for hoses and splitter cylinder

Your Prince 5000 valve and the Haldex pump is is rated for max 3000psi.....you log lift circuit can definitely be set on a lower pressure, to protect the more fragile structure it might have....don't have it set at higher pressure than you can lift your heaviest log... there should be an PRV on your log lift valve too...

any ideas on the pump noise?

Be more precise about when there is noise from pump....is it constantly after starting the engine? or when splitting?? at low pressure high flow or high pressure low flow??

First thing that pops up is pump cavitation....pretty big pump 22gpm....what size suction line do you have?? also check if suction hose is "collapsing" is there a suction strainer in the tank that is clogged?? Check so you have proper air vent on tank.....
What size piston rod/length of stroke is the splitter cylinder??

noise is constant ,load/no load, engine rpm doesnt change the tempo
after splitter sat all night i started it this morning and instantly same noise
hydraulic tank is like a big l_l has vent/fill on one side of uprights and vent on other side. return is in middle of one upright and suction is in bottom of other side, suction line is 2" then goes to a 6" peice of 1 1/2" to pump.
there was no noise for the first few hours of use

pump only has 1 1/2 " inlet
cylinder 2" rod 4 1/2" od 38" stroke

Last edited:
friend of mine has a splitter with 8hp 16 gpm pump same cylinder and i dont see any difference with the 22 gpm pump. should there be a noticable difference?

RE. knocking noise
drained hyd fluid and checked suction strainer tonight, strainer is fine.
removed pump found one side of the rubber insert between couplers gone.
dont know what caused this. its not a "Lovejoy" but that style from surplus center maybe some cheap chinese rubber. seems that would give me a noise irradicaly not continious. going to try and find a Lovejoy rubber tommorrow and hope it fits and cures my noise issue

a 22gpm pump @ 1600rpm give same flow as a 22gpm pump @ 1600rpm

wooops...that was funny....my cellphone keyboard fooled me today....I meant to say
a 22gpm pump @ 1600rpm give same flow as a 16gpm pump @ 2200rpm
Comparing pump flow have to include the pump speed.....
a 22gpm pump is 37.5% larger than a 16gpm....it shou;d definately be noticeably if pumps are compared at the same speed (rpm)

Back