Another plan goes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out to Richards to harvest a buckskin dead Red Elm. Looks like an easy 2-3 hours as very little brush to clean up.

Hmmm...Leans a bit into that live tree but I think it will slide off.

Nope: hangs at a 45 degree. Tried 'blocking it down' by taking a 24" chunk off - no go. Butt 20" so obviously I ain't a gonna be able to pull it with an F150 2x.

Richard told me last year "take anything that is half dead". Now what!?

Well, it is being held by just one of a multi stem tree, I'll cut that stem, call him and tell him what I did before he finds out himself.

Worked fine but left me with three times the amount of brush I had planned on and his field entrance totally blocked.

4 hours later I finally had the field entrance clear, 90% of the brush cut and piled, the dead tree still being held 15' in the air by "something" and three big rounds plus a dozen or so 'firewood size' limb pieces I cut while brushing.

Crawled in the PU about as beat as I have ever been and left.

Only good thing that went right is a 'perfect' stump cut. One of the few I have ever done.

Back out tomorrow and will take some pics if I can find the camera. First task will be getting that log on the ground - at least it looks like I can reach the only think I can see holding it from a safe distance and direction.

Did call Richard and explained - he had no problem at all with it.

Harry K

Last edited:
I cut a double the other day and laid them down across my Sister's driveway... I set the saw down and "snap..clunk". Clutch spring snapped and clutch bell cracked in the Stihl MS 440.
Only spare saw was a 14" Stihl 021. Not helping...

I feel your pain... Dealer was closed by the time I got there. Had two 18" trees in the driveway for a day...

005-12.jpg

Start of the day and where I left it yesterday

010-5.jpg

The jigsaw puzzle - what is holding what. Turned out it was that small 1 1/2" branch sticking down 45 degrees, the one in the back. Cut the stub it came off of and the tree rolled nicely over.

007-6.jpg

The stump. Not as good as I remembered. Should have been a level back cut. Big error was not aiming it about 5 degres counterclockwise - probably woud'nt have hung up. Didn't have a dutchman fro a change though.

015.jpg

2 days, 7 1/2 hours, for this load (plus two big piles of brush :)). Only took 3 coffee breaks in all those hours and those were 1/2 cup ones. Where did the time go to? Dragging brush does take time, but that much?

Harry K

Last edited:
Harry , how much wood do you have now? It seems like you are always getting a load. Buy I guess I would do that to just to get away from the wife for awhile . Get some breathing room. Sure is different to look at something you worked at the next day when you are not frustrated.

Beefie

Hey thats a Washintonian plate! Considering I see rolling farm fields, I would bet you are somewhere in the southeastern part of washington!

I'm up here in the Spokane area, and go up north to idaho for all my wood solutions.

Harry , how much wood do you have now? It seems like you are always getting a load. Buy I guess I would do that to just to get away from the wife for awhile . Get some breathing room. Sure is different to look at something you worked at the next day when you are not frustrated.

Beefie

I jsut count it at 30+ cords of B. Locust and still have around 10 of Willow (6 spoken for). Concentrating on B. Locust as it is dying around here, doesn't rot and I want a good stock to carry me through when I can't cut anymore (getting close the way I feel tonight)

Should stock up another 8 cord just from what I already have lined up. One hasta do sumpin when they are retired :)

Harry K

Hey thats a Washintonian plate! Considering I see rolling farm fields, I would bet you are somewhere in the southeastern part of washington!

I'm up here in the Spokane area, and go up north to idaho for all my wood solutions.

Down here outside of Colfax. Scout all over Whitman Co. looking for scores. Back in the late 70s would go up behind Laird Park for Tamarack until I wised up and realized that a 100 mile round trip to haul 3/4 cord was not a paying proposition. Changed over to harvesting Willow which is abundant, free and easy to get cutting rights. Then the Locust Borer came...

Harry K

Back