Another question about Oak Seedlings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Due to the limited number of 1/2 gallon milk cartons I was able to collect, I had to plant 4 or 5 acorns in each carton. This, obviously, has things a little crowded for the seedlings.

Would it be best to disturb them now and replant them in separate containers, or wait til march when we can plant them outside in there permanent location?

Thanks

The longer you wait to transplant ...... the larger the seedlings will be! This increased size/volume also corresponds to the root system. The larger the seedlings become ..... the more entangled the roots will become.

Yes, it will somewhat stress the trees to transplant now, but if you wait a while, it will cause more harm down the road. Try not to rip the roots apart. I have found that cutting down with a sharp knife sometimes is the best. This way, you know that the roots were severed at the cut, instead of closer to the seedling, which is more likely the case when ripped apart.

Put the knife away Shane, whitenack just take the seedlings out together and in a bucket of water splash off the soil and tease the roots apart. Then plant.

I agree Jay, but if the pots (milk containers) are really root bound, the root teaser could be days (not literally!) trying to seperate the seedlings. If too much time is wasted, the roots could dry and the results could be more devistating!

Whitenack,
Use your own judgement, but if you can do it, Jays method is far better for the seedlings, in terms of minimal disturbance.

Latest posts

Back