ANSI Standards for threaded rod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am not an arborist, but am building a treehouse. I was hoping someone could help me learn what kind of metal rods/lagscrews are good to use. I have read that less is best when it comes to fastneners in trees, and understand that an increased number of fastneners can cause a bad form of compartmentilization (sp)

I will be going completely through a couple of smaller trees with a rod and washers, and only into some with lag screws.

In particular, can someone help me with what type of metal the fastener should be (what coatings, etc). I went to the ANSI web-site and haven't come up with the answer yet, perhaps one of you guys in the field has the info.

Thanks for any replys!

I don't know what's good for trees, but galvanized is pretty standard for exterior use. There are other options, but that is the most common and easy to find and a good price.

Typical residential construction that is similar to what you are doing would probably require 1/2" lagbolts. Again, I'm not sure what the trees will like.

In particular, can someone help me with what type of metal the fastener should be (what coatings, etc). I went to the ANSI web-site and haven't come up with the answer yet, perhaps one of you guys in the field has the info.

Thanks for any replys!
3/4 inch HSS rod and bolts are what we use for most applications, and double bolted on each end. drill bit is a ships auger, with an extension welded on.

You may want togo to the ISA's web site for the industries Best Practices for cabling and bracing.

JPS,
That is probably overkill for his application... he's not trying to hold the tree together... just put up a tree house.. I would think half inch or 7/16 would be more than adequate.. Lags or rods should be spaced apart vertically 1.5x the diameter... When cabling trees each lag or rod should only connect to one cable.. for the tree house he may be able to double up...

http://www.thelivingtreehouse.com/

check the above link and see what he uses... I AM working a job tomorrow where he built a tree house and will take a look if I think of it... busy day

ANSI doesn't apply here..

ps.. John,
What do you hear fromTexas?
call or email me
804-283-3214
Thanks

I think he should be fine with 1/2". That's probably strong enough for the tree house with a jacuzzi.

Thanks for the replys!

What do you guys think,
Will it kill a 5" diameter white ash to drill through it and use a carriage bolt with washer?

I also have a post underneath the beam. I ask because I'm concerned about the cable and turnbuckle quality. If I could go with a carriage bolt and the ash will live I would feel more comfortable. Not looking for guarantees on the ash, just your thoughts.

Thanks for any replys!

100_2410-1.jpg

I have drilled many a holes through trees. Never seen one die yet. The damage you do with a 1/2 inch hole is not going to be noticed by the tree.
The life of the tree is in the outermost ring, so you will not affect the tree by drilling it or screwing into it. The biggest concern is making sure the hole is sealed off, and the sooner it heals around the hardware the better. Now I watched a tv show and I can't remember much detail. But what they did was hang it from cables so that the tree could move seperatly. They even mentioned that they sell the hardware, but I am sorry I don't even remember the name of the show. Maybe google tree house hardware or something.
I built a hunting blind in a clump of 3 trees. I plunge cut with a chainsaw the 2x6s so that the lag bolts could slide in the grove when the trees moved. 7 years and still solid. Please post some pics as the project progresses, I am very interested.
Good luck

Back