Anybody else had problems with Quadrafire Isle Royale?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This past winter was the first for heating with wood for me and I was not very happy with my new Isle royale cast iron stove. The stove burnt really hot and the dealer kept blaming it on high draft. I could not get long burn times out of it. I may be new at burning wood but I'm not a dummy. I tested draft and positive house pressure and could find nothing wrong. The last test I did was held a flame around the joints of the stove. The flame sucked in at two locations on the bottom front corners. I sent pictures of the flame sucking into leaking joints to the Quad rep and that finally put the nail in the coffin. I now have a Quad 5700 that I can control and get over 12 hour burn times. Love the 5700 and Quadrafire for making this right and replacing the Isle Royale with the 5700 with no money exchanged for a higher value stove.

Well that's good to know they stand by their stoves.

Just so I understand it correctly was it a faulty or incomplete welded seam that caused this? Also could one ID this problem on the showroom if they knew what to look for.

The reason I'm asking chadihman is that was going to be our next stove. thanks

Well that's good to know they stand by their stoves.

Just so I understand it correctly was it a faulty or incomplete welded seam that caused this? Also could one ID this problem on the showroom if they knew what to look for.

The reason I'm asking chadihman is that was going to be our next stove. thanks

This leak could not be seen. They use cement to seal all the joints for the cast iron stoves. Bolts hold the parts together. The awsome look of the cast iron Isle Royale and top load feature was what led me to buy it. Cast iron stoves allways scare me and now I know why. Lots of people have good luck with cast stoves and I'm sure that there are many people who would never give up there Isle Royale. The top load was really nice for adding one or two splits at a time but I still had to load from the front doors to fill for overnight. The fire box is not square on the Isle Royale and is tricky to load full. The splits had to be loaded sideways and the firebox is narrow in the back. My new 5700 is awsome. Not quite as nice looking but burns longer and I load the splits straight in the front. The secondary burn on the 5700 is something I just sit and watch for an hour sometimes. The glass on the 5700 is huge and allows for nice viewing of the gostly dancing blue flames. I have the fan for mine and I can heat my 2900 sq/ft home no problem. Research reasearch research is what I recommend. Never buy a stove that is to big for your house. The new stoves really need to burn a little hotter to burn clean so you dont want to buy a stove that is to large and has to be choked all the time. In my opinion the Quadrafire stoves have the best secondary system with very little maintenance unlike some other stoves.

Latest posts

Back