Anyone built a freestanding stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmetalbend

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to build a freestanding stove. Any pics, expertise , knowledge on construction would help. I figure I'd use 1/4 plate for the inner box. Lined with fire brick up about half way. possibly heat tubes circling over the actual fire and a blower at the end. I really need some knowledge on how to wire in the thermostat to the blower. Thank's for any info. chris

They sell a Thermo disc

Or a snap switch It is mounted onto the stove. Once temp gets so high it kicks blower on simple as pie. Once temp falls below set point, fan turns off.

Or a snap switch It is mounted onto the stove. Once temp gets so high it kicks blower on simple as pie. Once temp falls below set point, fan turns off.

So it's called a "thermo disc/snap switch". Can I buy it at the hardware store, or do I need a more of a heating and air supplier?:givebeer:

Hey....

.......how about a wood stove build off? LOL.

Annnnnnnd TRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEco Flies in from the back. seriously I don't think the world is ready for that comp. Either that or their outback building somthing now.:monkey:

Here's one I built in 1980 - Still working, just used it today up in the shop. It's all 1/4" steel, firebrick on the bottom & 1/2 up the sides & rear. I made the door hollow, air goes in the pipe cap's, down through the door & comes out low on the inside. The top could have been 3/8 or 1/2, I've had ir red a few times. Back then, I got a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" all sheared to the sizes I gave them for 100.00. I did all the welding from the inside so it didn't show, the last piece put on is the top of the rear part, had to do that so it showed. It takes almost 30" wood.
woodstovex.jpg

Here's one I built in 1980 - Still working, just used it today up in the shop. It's all 1/4" steel, firebrick on the bottom & 1/2 up the sides & rear. I made the door hollow, air goes in the pipe cap's, down through the door & comes out low on the inside. The top could have been 3/8 or 1/2, I've had ir red a few times. Back then, I got a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" all sheared to the sizes I gave them for 100.00. I did all the welding from the inside so it didn't show, the last piece put on is the top of the rear part, had to do that so it showed. It takes almost 30" wood.
woodstovex.jpg

Thanks for the onfo. I'm gonna use that air cap idea for sure, it looks spark proof and is exactly what I'm ganna need to burn Hedge.

Mike your gonna screw some one up really good when you die, I mean you have some antiques and some half antiques not to mention the barn full of rare and unusual oddities and inventions. Heck they may as well turn your place into a museum :laugh:

That may be blackdoggy - But, a long time ago I heard that the guy that dies with the most "stuff" WINS - And boy, I got "stuff" :dizzy:

Too bad it doesn't matter when your dead, least not to you.:monkey: I can't look in any direction at home and NOT see somthing I've made, but it means more to me that my children can continue what I started. And come up with their own idea's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back