Anyone seen a bar break like this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go. Cant say that I have ever seen one break like that.

attachment.php

yup typical laminated bar that was used hard. Weak metal in that area do to the lamination process.

Never heard of a 32" laminated bar, and it doesn't really look like one - but there appears to be some small oddly placed rivets on it......

Their not rivets, the dimples you see in the pic are (or look like to me ) some sort of punch marks almost like a centre punch so Hill may well be right about it being laminated.
Hasn't been used a lot still has lots of meat left on it , mind you when it gets used its in timber for the full length, the stump I was cutting up is over two metres round (6,56 feet) Have another one coming so I can carry on this weekend I will be needin some 2 stroke therapy by then :msp_w00t:

Cheers

Turn it over and get back to cutting!

Seriously, their must have been some type of crack or flaw in the bar, possibly from manufacturing. That is a lot of metal to move, compared to saw, bending or shearing a bar stud, etc. from the force. Crack almost looks like the metal was brittle at that point.

What brand of bar? How old?

Did the crack form in the top or bottom of the bar (as it was mounted)?

Sorry it happened.

Philbert

I got a 36" bar with my 084 that had one side cracked in the same place.

Hey Frank, I'll be working in the river for the next month if you would like to stop and say hi. No telling where exactly I'll be but the bench lands behind the courthouse would be a good place to start. Come on by just before noon and I'll buy us lunch.

looks like a GB bar from the stamping. maybe try contacting them?

i would say it would be cheaper to just replace it but just saw your location and ive seen bar prices in OZ and iam sure they arent that much better in NZ.

Hey Frank, I'll be working in the river for the next month if you would like to stop and say hi. No telling where exactly I'll be but the bench lands behind the courthouse would be a good place to start. Come on by just before noon and I'll buy us lunch.

Okay everybody....2dogs is buying lunch!

maybe your chain tensioner dog was torqued all the way, too tight chain, ran out of bar oil, loose bar nuts?.................maybe used your saw bar too often as a last minute tree jack................ or just a weak spot in the metal...........?

Last edited:
View attachment 192651

Its a 32" on a MS660 I was cutting up a big Macrocarpa stump when this happened,any clues as to why or is it just a dud bar.

Thanks , great forum.
Cheers
Allan

Stihl bars puke easiest,due to the width of their stud channel. Frying a short bar like a 32" pictured,is typically due to abuse(crash)...though there have been brittle runs in the past,that cracked through the oil hole into the stud channel.

Sugihara's being notoriously the worst,but they held true in amazing fashion,if you didn't spring(crack) them.

Last edited:
Turn it over and get back to cutting!

Seriously, their must have been some type of crack or flaw in the bar, possibly from manufacturing. That is a lot of metal to move, compared to saw, bending or shearing a bar stud, etc. from the force. Crack almost looks like the metal was brittle at that point.

What brand of bar? How old?

Did the crack form in the top or bottom of the bar (as it was mounted)?

Sorry it happened.

Philbert

GB Brand , about 3 years old but but not a lot of use still has the paint on two thirds of it.
Cracked at the top,thought I had left the nuts loose but they were tight.

As they say sh$t happens..:msp_ohmy:

maybe your chain tensioner dog was torqued all the way, too tight chain, ran out of bar oil, loose bar nuts?.................maybe used your saw bar too often as a last minute tree jack................ or just a weak spot in the metal...........?

Pretty fussy with the chain tension , doesn't take much to keep it right,plenty oil,tight nuts :msp_tongue: and have jacks to use if I need too.

Have hung it on the wall in the shed to have a look at one day , might be able to repair and just use one way up.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back