Anyone seen this before ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrel64

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I wasn't sure which forum to post this to so just let me know if I'm wrong. I own a tree service and had someone call and send me some pictures. So I haven't seen them in person. But I haven't seen this before so maybe one of you all will know. He says they are ash but it's hard to tell.
The trees are located in Northern Va. near Winchester. He say what ever it is it's attacking a lot of the same trees around the area. I believe the tree in question are set back in the woods away from any residential. But they aren't too far from the house.
He also said it runs from the ground to the canopy

Appreciate any input.
image(1).jpeg image.jpeg

Thats just my guess as to the cause. By no means am i an expert.

It's an ash tree infested with emerald ash borers. The woodpeckers are digging out the larvae, and when the leaves are down in the fall and winter you will see all the blond barked ash trees.
The trees will fall down in 2-5 years depending on the site. Either the roots rot off, or the trunk rots inside. One way or another, it's coming down in a good wind.
Michigan has millions of these thanks to Chinese dounage shipped into Detroit about 15 years ago.

Agree with the EAB diagnosis, but that blonding is not from a pileated. The smaller downy and hairy woodpeckers are more likely involved.

Agree with the EAB diagnosis, but that blonding is not from a pileated. The smaller downy and hairy woodpeckers are more likely involved.

EAB- along the Mississippi ash are drop n left n right. MSP area have been drop n the most susceptible trees for years trying to prevent the inevitable. MN has the most Ash trees in the states from what I heard.
My woods are 40-50% ash. Oak maple n boxelder make up the rest It ll be a sad day.

World commerce has far reaching affects. -jumping asian carp-tree eating bugs. Just some of it...

Latest posts

Back