Anyone successfully reversed the Nothern Grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky_NY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It got talked about but no operating followups that I could see.

I got and tried my grinder, very nice as often stated. I quickly checked out the wiring situation, there is 4 wires coming out of the motor, 2 are for the start capacitor. More common setup is the start cap is mounted on the motor and those 2 wires would be internal. That leaves only the 2 wires exiting the motor for AC power, so reversing isn't going to happen without opening up the motor.

To reverse the motor, it will be necessary to wire a switch that reverses the lead to EITHER the armature or the field windings but NOT both. Both would have no effect, same as reversing the plug in the recptacle LOL.

I have not opened my motor up yet to check the situation out. Wondered it anyone has? Also not sure if reversing it is really gaining enough to make it worthwhile, afterall the new Oregon 511 does not reverse anymore.

To reverse the motor, it will be necessary to wire a switch that reverses the lead to EITHER the armature or the field windings but NOT both. Both would have no effect, same as reversing the plug in the recptacle LOL.

Reversing armature or field winding is only done for DC motors.

I assume that these are AC induction motors not wound rotor. I have not opened up my 511 to check but I will because it needs bearings.

Anyway, if it is an AC induction motor with a capacitor you must reverse the start windings. The problem with this is that they are likely not too accessible. The start winding is usually a series winding. This means that the start winding is probably connected internally to a field winding. The connection point is usually tightly wrapped and varnished. One end of the winding is usually attached to the capacitor which gives one easy lead to access.

When a motor is universal the manufacture usually brings the start windings out to the connection box and installs markers and connectors on them. This allows the user to simply disconnect the connectors and reconnect the winding in reverse. In the case of the grinder being an OEM specific motor I would doubt that this has been done.

Hmmmm

Are the 511 oregons using capacitor start motors? I do believe I have made an error if that is indeed the case.

I accepted someones advice on reversing a 511 (not from here) and then ASSumed from my old Foley Belsaw which is in fact a universal series wound motor.

My foley has only 2 wires to the motor

I now will wait until I retrieve my old 511 from the old farm and investigate further. I will as promised offer a full apology if I was in error on this particular aspect of the 511a grinder.

The plot thickens.......

"This is now impossible to do with the newer Oregon 511A grinders. The Oregon 511A was originally designed with a bi-directional motor but they can no longer make them with a bi-directional motor to meet UL requirements- so they changed the motor on them to a uni-directional motor but didn't make any other changes- the head on the Oregon grinder only tilts to the left... "

About dang time the italians got around to this.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAXX-Grinder-fo...0045536QQihZ013QQcategoryZ85915QQcmdZViewItem

For the record my foley blade sharpener also spits the sparks directly at me so the UL would be horrified. Still works the best that I have used though......

*currently shopping for braille keyboards and working copies of dragon speak*

Latest posts

Back