Anyone work logging camps around Escanaba MI?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensterfly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am a tour director and beginning tomorrow will be leading a tour out of Milwaukee called "Around Lake Michigan." By Thursday we will be in the U.P. and taking a tour of a logging operation. It's the first time we've done this on this tour. I, for one, am really looking forward to this. Just curious if any of you work that area? I believe the company is "Nelson Logging."

I am not going to be helpful I am afraid. I lived in the central UP for many years. I was born in 1956. As far as I know, the lumber camp days ended MANY years before then. The time of lumber camps and log drives on the rivers ended in the late 1800's.

There were many "jobbers" who kept a few guys cutting pulp in the time I have lived, but they didn't have any real lumber camps. Usually the jobbers made shacks on axles that the pulpcutters lived in where they were cutting. It was never more than subsistence living. No water,,,except from a creek,,,,,,no toilet, except for a log to squat over,,,,,and like that.

Bob

There are the scary watchmen who are camped. Not as many as there used to be though. I would not recommend touring a watchman camp. You might not return. :msp_ohmy:

Igor...the watchman who never bathes? And has six dogs in his travel trailer? The one with no teeth? Who eats directly from tin cans? With his fingers?

I think he worked for us a couple of seasons ago.

Igor...the watchman who never bathes? And has six dogs in his travel trailer? The one with no teeth? Who eats directly from tin cans? With his fingers?

I think he worked for us a couple of seasons ago.

You got it. Usually has a pair of dirty overalls on with one strap loose.

Never visit those guys. Never......

Yup. Drove through a camp on the east side a few years ago. Burly characters, tatoos, teeth missing. and that was just the women!

that sounds like the morel picker camps that sprout up around here, it reminds me of The Island of Dr. Moreau when the main character walks into the beast/man camp for the first time, the animals are trying to act human but (like the morel picker camp inhabitants) don't have the practice :biggrin:

You got it. Usually has a pair of dirty overalls on with one strap loose.

Never visit those guys. Never......

Aw, now, you don't gotta be all down on the guy just 'cuz he comes up a bit short on the social skills. Used to know a fellow who stood guard over a gravel pit in the Doty Triangle somewhere out the 1000 Line who was always up for drinkin' a few beers and then shooting the cans with his .410 snake charmer. More than one night spent up in the hills tellin' lies and getting the truck outta the soft shoulder. Seems he was happy enough for the company, especially since we didn't give two hoots about any of the stuff he was guarding.

My great grand dad logged in the U.P. and Canada in the 1910's and 20's. Unfortunately that is all I can tell you although I have his axe a single bit and so hard that a file just skates off the surface without leaving a mark.

I don't know that I would call them "logging camps", but plenty of loggers still "camp" at the job. For months at a time. Most have large travel trailers with generators. A friend of mine and his dad "camped" in the UP for most of the year. They were up there cutting red pine tree length for telephone poles. The last crew I worked for camped for three months on a job. One job I worked on one of the crews had an old dry van trailer that they had converted into a job trailer and camper. Pretty slick. Always plenty of lakes around to freshen up in.
Fly, PM me. I will get you my cell number. If you want to look up a logging crew up that way, I can probably get you hooked up.

Back