Backfilling over/adjacent to existing tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edgelake

Reaction score
Greetings. I have an existing situation where I need to backfill over/adjacent to a 16"-20" oak in order to restore a slope. Please see my graphics- they explains a lot.

The tree has been there, on the edge of the bluff, for some time, and I think perhaps it's entire life. [there used to be a road at the toe of the bluff.

The face of the bluff is unmanageable [with varmints digging tunnels as well], and I wanted to fill it to match the slope adjacent, and then grass with coastal bermuda to match the existing. The soil is sandy/clayey so I will need some amendments to keep it stable until the grass sets...and I do not plan to continue to irrigate once grass is established.

what are your thoughts, ideas, concerns, suggestions, questions?

it's a great tree ...

View attachment 152957

View attachment 152958

View attachment 152959

Last edited:
I would add the fill, but I think you will benefit the tree a great deal if you build a small retaining well around the downhill side to protect the trunk of the tree from topsoil covering the bark.

It is generally considered poor tree maintenance to cover the root zone with lots of dirt, but I suspect the roots may be compromised a bit in that area anyway.

Just protect the trunk or don't cover it with dirt; then have at it!

Latest posts

Back