Bandit 1390xp knife question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, with all the knives now roughly the same length the chipper is back to normal. Smooth, quiet, no vibration, perfect chips. HOWEVER, now I have a different problem. When I'm chipping bigger stuff, end grain rounds etc. I am having more long slivers and chunks binding the upper feedwheel. Some are getting above the feedwheel and keeping me from being able to lift it. This used to happen very rarely but now it's happening all the time. I can reverse the feedwheels and the chunks fall out but it's a real problem. Again, this is not a knife sharpness problem. The knives are razor sharp and the chips are perfect. It's a problem when a short fat piece goes in sideways or a round goes in with the grain up etc. The bigger slivers/chunks that result are somehow binding the upper (and possible lower) feedwheel. Has anyone had this problem?
Dont chip sideways you will jam the chipper up and if you want to see off balance wait till one of them chipper blade pockets gets filled with them slivers!

Too big a gap or too little? I'm using the tool from Bandit and it's adjusted to their specs.

Also, I just measured the knife angle. They were sharpened to 34 degrees and NOT 30 degrees like it says in the manual. Could that cause a problem?
Its only doing it sideways you said otherwise the chips are perfect it ain't made to chip sideways! Sharpen the anvil.

Its only doing it sideways you said otherwise the chips are perfect it ain't made to chip sideways! Sharpen the anvil.

Before I changed the knives this machine would take any size or shape chunk going in any direction and chip flawlessly. Sure, it made big, lousy chips when the wood went through sideways but it never jammed the feedwheels. Not one problem in 600 hours. Now it jams easily. I just want it to chip like it did before and I'm having trouble pinpointing the problem. Maybe someone has had a similar problem and can help me out.

Before I changed the knives this machine would take any size or shape chunk going in any direction and chip flawlessly. Sure, it made big, lousy chips when the wood went through sideways but it never jammed the feedwheels. Not one problem in 600 hours. Now it jams easily. I just want it to chip like it did before and I'm having trouble pinpointing the problem. Maybe someone has had a similar problem and can help me out.
What about the anvil? I would be correct in saying this all happened after you had the knives sharpened? What else has changed? Maybe you should sharpen the anvil and if that dont help buy a new set of knives if that is the only thing you did and now it has a problem.

Set the anvil to their specs maybe a 32nd closer and flip the anvil too. You don't want it to close. When I worked at davey residential we had an 1890 that would turn logs sideways and we sharpened the feed wheels and that helped a lot.

I just talked with Justin at Bandit. He says knife angle is critical and the 34 degrees on mine could be causing all my problems. I will have mine resharpened to the proper 30 degrees and see if that fixes the problem. Nothing else really changed so that's the most likely culprit.

I just talked with Justin at Bandit. He says knife angle is critical and the 34 degrees on mine could be causing all my problems. I will have mine resharpened to the proper 30 degrees and see if that fixes the problem. Nothing else really changed so that's the most likely culprit.
Sounds right you didnt change anything else then it happened after he sharpened them.

So I finally got everything straightened out. I had 2 knife issues. The anvil adjustment was fine all along. The knives were not all the same length causing excess vibration and noise. I'm only talking about 1/8" difference but that's all it took. Additionally the knives were ground to 34 degrees and not 30 degrees as specified in the manual. I had them reground to the proper angle and it's chipping like new again! Amazing that small differences in length and angle can make the much difference.

So I finally got everything straightened out. I had 2 knife issues. The anvil adjustment was fine all along. The knives were not all the same length causing excess vibration and noise. I'm only talking about 1/8" difference but that's all it took. Additionally the knives were ground to 34 degrees and not 30 degrees as specified in the manual. I had them reground to the proper angle and it's chipping like new again! Amazing that small differences in length and angle can make the much difference.
Some sharpening that guy did huh? Don't go back.

Latest posts

Back