Bearing Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimneySmoke

Firewood Hack Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Picked up an 024Super as a project saw. It had been straight gassed so cleaned up the cylinder and put a new meteor piston in it. Ran a tank of gas thru it and was happy with the power but it was idling like it had an air leak. Found the PTO side crank seal was leaking. I decided to have a dealer change the seals and he found that some of the ball bearing are missing. At this point he calls me and tells me the saw is not worth what its going to cost for him to fix it. He did take the time to explain that there is no way of determining how much damage has taken place inside the case without spending a lot of time on it. I'm just looking for some opinions on what to do with the saw. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180618_215156[1].jpg
    20180618_215156[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
Yes, perfect saw to learn on! This time next year, or maybe next month, you'll have 11 saws on the floor, 2 on the workbench, 7 in the back of truck you haven't unloaded yet, a whole shelf full of them that are really clean, boxes of parts, UPS and mailman delivering stuff 3 times a week, pissed off neighbors, and the permanent stench of 2 smoke in your shop. Welcome aboard!

Yes, perfect saw to learn on! This time next year, or maybe next month, you'll have 11 saws on the floor, 2 on the workbench, 7 in the back of truck you haven't unloaded yet, a whole shelf full of them that are really clean, boxes of parts, UPS and mailman delivering stuff 3 times a week, pissed off neighbors, and the permanent stench of 2 smoke in your shop. Welcome aboard!
This is exactly what happened to me!!! Only for me it started with acquiring a Husqvarna 2100 that had been tore down in a box. so i rebuilt it and the rest is history!!!!

Whoa:

I do not think any of the ball bearings are missing or I suspect none are missing.
What has happened most likely is the plastic ball bearing separator has broken up and allowed the balls to run close together, making it appear that some are missing. It's a common problem on some of the little stihls. Probably just need to gather up the little pieces of broken plastic separator and replace both bearings with the metal type. (less than $20 and a tube of Yamaha bond to seal the clamshell.
I replaced both of my OEM broken up plastic bearings with a type that has steel separator on a Stihl awhile back with help from these guys here.

I'm not sure about yours but some of those little saws are of the clam shell type and easy to work on and would be a good learning experience for you.
I would get it back from the shop, make sure you get all the pieces, take it apart and look at the other bearing (they are the same) and we can help you.

It appears that the shop where you have it is not aware of the plastic bearing separator breaking up and the bearings normally do not come out of the race in the saw, but be aware that to pull (remove) the bearing you will have to use a hard grease and separate the balls to hold the outer race onto the crank side race when pulling on the outer race. When all the balls are on one side of the outer race the race will come off when trying to pull the bearing usually.;)

Tear it down and replace bearings.
Gasket and seal kit $15
Clutch side bearing $16
Flywheel side bearing $6 (nachi quest 16002)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Especially Okie and the others that identified the plastic ball bearing separator as the problem. Looking forward to splitting the case rebuilding the saw.

Safety around bearings, even itty bitty ones.

AND some of them little bearing can be stuck really tight.

Wear safety glasses and a face shield that cover the throat neck is also good. If the race breaks under heavy tension little pieces will fly and cut like flying sharp glass. I've seen guys loose eyes and a pierced throat is not a good thing either.

Whahaha your so right about the pissed off neighbors part!

Latest posts

Back