Become licensed/insured in British Columbia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber Man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all...wondering how to start in the tree service field here in BC. How do I get licensed/insured/certified for say, residential tree service work, falling/climbing. Where can I take training, is there a comparable certification like ISA, are there other ways to get in the biz, etc.

Thanks in advance

10 yrs of power saws as a homeowner/falling for firewood/hazard trees on the off grid homestead. The last few years I've also been landclearing at a remote site to create a fire buffer from structures, push tree line back for solar and safety of cabins. Have gotten some gear and am now climbing problem trees that I have to work from top down. Learning as much as I can from the internet. 150' firs, large cottonwoods/cedars. Am in love with saws and the forest, and would like to figure out a next step to so I can offer firewood and falling services to more of the community nearby.

I would suggest finding a local company and working for them for a few years.
I've been looking into that. Good idea for sure, although that would take me quite a ways off from the homestead and family, which may be the route needed. But that's why I'm wondering about my own thing possibly as well, maybe in the side. But I don't know where to look for professional training/courses etc. What one would need to be insured, all that.

Hey Timber Man! I’ve been working for a tree company for 5 years now in Calgary, AB and now have started my own contract climbing service. I agree that getting on board with a solid arborist company in your area would be really good but likely unrealistic if you live in the middle of no where and already have a career and all that. What I would suggest is order a copy of the ‘ISA Tree Climber’s Guide (4th edition)’, study through that and also look in to ArborCanada courses. They have lots of rad courses host all over Canada (you might have to travel into Vancouver or whatever’s closest to you) but you will learn lots from them and have a certificate that you can waive around at people if needed haha. I’ve never actually taken one but know a couple of their instructors and they are solid.

Hope that helps.

Th
Hey Timber Man! I’ve been working for a tree company for 5 years now in Calgary, AB and now have started my own contract climbing service. I agree that getting on board with a solid arborist company in your area would be really good but likely unrealistic if you live in the middle of no where and already have a career and all that. What I would suggest is order a copy of the ‘ISA Tree Climber’s Guide (4th edition)’, study through that and also look in to ArborCanada courses. They have lots of rad courses host all over Canada (you might have to travel into Vancouver or whatever’s closest to you) but you will learn lots from them and have a certificate that you can waive around at people if needed haha. I’ve never actually taken one but know a couple of their instructors and they are solid.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.
dandlebar! Thanks very much, I would like to work with a company yes, for the knowledge, but ideally I'm working on my own , I am in the middle of nowhere, but getting some training in Vancouver is definitely something of interest. This is the type of info I've been looking for. I appreciate that! How are you liking the career ?

I've been looking into that. Good idea for sure, although that would take me quite a ways off from the homestead and family, which may be the route needed. But that's why I'm wondering about my own thing possibly as well, maybe in the side. But I don't know where to look for professional training/courses etc. What one would need to be insured, all that.
So, if I may offer my perspective.

It sounds to me like you are self motivated and driven. Working for an employer to gain experience is not necessary in my opinion. You will only learn a limited skillset. It sounds to me, like you already have the basics down-keep building on that.

I am self taught, been in the field for 5 years and am now the owner/operator of my own tree service company. I am studying all the arboriculture books offered by ISA as I prepare to take the test. How to properly prune trees is more difficult than climbing and rigging out a hazard tree in my opinion. But we must keep learning daily to best serve others in this industry. None of us want to be hacks or worse get killed! Nor do we want to destroy property!!

When I first started, I would offer my services to friends and neighbors to build experience and essentially get on-the-job training, self directed of course. Jeff Jepson has great books, if you don’t have them-I would highly encourage you to get them.

As the other gentleman wrote, ‘you may not even know what you don’t know’. Building knowledge and experience requires one to actually DO THE THING..

I did work in the field as a hobby for 3 years before getting more serious. Now I am licensed, insured and set my own schedule, that’s the dream!!

I’ve taken some formal training from ARCT and even though the information was relevant, I became a certified line clearance arborist but I still get sketched out working around power lines! It would take me doing the thing for weeks, months or longer before feeling confident in my ability. So, thankfully there are many disciplines in this field. I am building on my strengths..

You have my vote of confidence!
Just do it!!
Shane

Attachments

• IMG_1256.mov
    2.4 MB
So, if I may offer my perspective.

It sounds to me like you are self motivated and driven. Working for an employer to gain experience is not necessary in my opinion. You will only learn a limited skillset. It sounds to me, like you already have the basics down-keep building on that.

I am self taught, been in the field for 5 years and am now the owner/operator of my own tree service company. I am studying all the arboriculture books offered by ISA as I prepare to take the test. How to properly prune trees is more difficult than climbing and rigging out a hazard tree in my opinion. But we must keep learning daily to best serve others in this industry. None of us want to be hacks or worse get killed! Nor do we want to destroy property!!

When I first started, I would offer my services to friends and neighbors to build experience and essentially get on-the-job training, self directed of course. Jeff Jepson has great books, if you don’t have them-I would highly encourage you to get them.

As the other gentleman wrote, ‘you may not even know what you don’t know’. Building knowledge and experience requires one to actually DO THE THING..

I did work in the field as a hobby for 3 years before getting more serious. Now I am licensed, insured and set my own schedule, that’s the dream!!

I’ve taken some formal training from ARCT and even though the information was relevant, I became a certified line clearance arborist but I still get sketched out working around power lines! It would take me doing the thing for weeks, months or longer before feeling confident in my ability. So, thankfully there are many disciplines in this field. I am building on my strengths..

You have my vote of confidence!
Just do it!!
Shane
Shaner418! Thankyou very much for taking the time to type that up and for the encouragement. So since this thread I have gotten more serious about working for myself. I've noted the names/books you've mentioned. Could I ask you how I could go about getting insured ? That to me is a next big step. Don't know where to start. All I've ever looked for over the years is vehicle insurance . Haha. Thanks so much! And congrats on lovin the dream. So good 👊🏼

Shaner418! Thankyou very much for taking the time to type that up and for the encouragement. So since this thread I have gotten more serious about working for myself. I've noted the names/books you've mentioned. Could I ask you how I could go about getting insured ? That to me is a next big step. Don't know where to start. All I've ever looked for over the years is vehicle insurance . Haha. Thanks so much! And congrats on livin the dream. So good , and nice top there in the vid 👊🏼
Oh and when you get a job, you have a standard contract/liability form you do with your clients ?

Shaner418! Thankyou very much for taking the time to type that up and for the encouragement. So since this thread I have gotten more serious about working for myself. I've noted the names/books you've mentioned. Could I ask you how I could go about getting insured ? That to me is a next big step. Don't know where to start. All I've ever looked for over the years is vehicle insurance . Haha. Thanks so much! And congrats on lovin the dream. So good 👊🏼
I am in Alaska. Rules might be different in Canada. You can give my insurance underwriter a call. They may be able to put you on the right path. Alaska Service Agency. Perhaps there is a local insurance underwriter in your area?

Oh and when you get a job, you have a standard contract/liability form you do with your clients ?
I live in a small place, so I build my business on transparency, honesty, integrity and 💯 accountability. A strong reputation in the community and all that I need is a hand shake. We work from a written estimate and that’s it. Easy.

Latest posts

Back