Beech-tree-rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is some video of a job we did last week.

It took about 18 hours for 4 of us to safely bring the tree down, chip the branches, saw into firewood and remove from site.

The weather was constantly changing with heavy rain one minute and sunshine the next.

The tree was set between and over 2 buildings, while slightly elevated from the parking area, with a retaining wall about 5ft out from the butt.

We Rigged everything but the last 20ft of trunk which I was able to chunk down into the dirt. A good size landing area meant I was able to rig down some full size limbs, some were double-rigged over the building which worked well in this situation.

Nothing too exiting but the methods were sound and the job finished on time. Thanks

Part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19AHQnhzB4

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehbSFnlDDfU

Excellent work as usual, reg. Like to see big wood move safely.

That's a huge Beech! Deuce Bigalo style.

Reg you have the tree thing down, I like how you do it.

How do you like hanging with the 3120? I don't know what it is about you guys across the ocean but there never seems to be a 90cc saw, always going for the 120cc when the wood isn't that big. Can you enlighten me?

That Beech looks nice to work in, looks like it cuts, spikes, and hinges well, is this accurate?

Last edited:
Here is some video of a job we did last week.

It took about 18 hours for 4 of us to safely bring the tree down, chip the branches, saw into firewood and remove from site.

The weather was constantly changing with heavy rain one minute and sunshine the next.

The tree was set between and over 2 buildings, while slightly elevated from the parking area, with a retaining wall about 5ft out from the butt.

We Rigged everything but the last 20ft of trunk which I was able to chunk down into the dirt. A good size landing area meant I was able to rig down some full size limbs, some were double-rigged over the building which worked well in this situation.

Nothing too exiting but the methods were sound and the job finished on time. Thanks

Part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19AHQnhzB4

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehbSFnlDDfU

amazing video footage...where do you work out of?

Harry

Rburg, it was probably about 5ft

Nailsbeat, I only have 3 saws: 200T, + Huskys’ 390 and 3120. The 390 only takes up to 30in bar.

Arborcare, I work in and around Greater Manchester, England.

Treemandan, must be the camera angle cause I don’t recall anything like that happening.

Thanks

Rburg, it was probably about 5ft

Nailsbeat, I only have 3 saws: 200T, + Huskys’ 390 and 3120. The 390 only takes up to 30in bar.

Arborcare, I work in and around Greater Manchester, England.

Treemandan, must be the camera angle cause I don’t recall anything like that happening.

Thanks

Well that makes sense then, but what about the Beech conditions? I've chewed Beachnut if that matters.

Reg, I looked at the film again, this time with sound. Its actually the first cut we see when you say " whoa, hold it" ANd maybe not some much the face but lower.
Happened to me just yesterday but I don't know why. I tell these guys when tip tied to hold until it comes off. I usually either notch and I like to the rip cut as it holds for longer especailly if just a top rope is being used.
I don't like when the branch gets aimed at you.

Also Reg, when you get back, about the tensioning arm? Did you had the fact that the device would be limited compared to a ratchet bollard allready in mind? I remember you mentioned something about keeping it in a certain price range.
My first thought when I saw it was that it was a little to finicky, limited and just might prove to be downright bad and I am sticking with it after the last film. I am sorry, not trying to beat ya up of course no way.
Anyway, how many days where the hours split up, my lazy ass would do 3... and 1/2. And how small did you cut it? seems like there would be a whole lot of dust, like a truck load.

Nails, beech is a little like maple I suppose only it hold at the hinge a little better and is considerably heavier. All in all, a good tree to work with.

Treemandan, I told Steve to ‘hold it’ simply because I had that limb balanced but as you see I hadn’t quite cut through far enough for it to break off.

Re: the LD – The tensioning lever takes just a few seconds to set up, in reality it is a handy accessory i.e. it was imperative tension both lines when folding those large horizontals on the vid. It is simply there if you need it, if not take it off or just leave it hanging out to one side. To add a ratchet system would’ve probably added another $1000+ on the retail price, so I am simply offering a cheaper alternative. And lets not forget that even without the lever the device is built incredibly tough with possibly the best lowering capabilities/performance of any device out there. Thanks

Looks good to me. :rock:

I dont like a pulley on the butt line though. I just do a regular drop hitch setup, then hold the tip line lower the butt (kick it off or whatever) and then toss it off to the ground guy for directing it. When the butt gets closer to the ground we take that off and put on the chipper winch and right into chipper she goes. Works sweet.

Gotta have a winch on the chipper reg.

Looks good to me. :rock:

I dont like a pulley on the butt line though. I just do a regular drop hitch setup, then hold the tip line lower the butt (kick it off or whatever) and then toss it off to the ground guy for directing it. When the butt gets closer to the ground we take that off and put on the chipper winch and right into chipper she goes. Works sweet.

Gotta have a winch on the chipper reg.

The pulley was positioned to minimize the amount of movement/kick-back afforded to the butt after the cuts were made, further aided by the short distance between the pulley and where the line was attached along the butt, + 1000Lbs of pre-tension applied to the line. The reason for the kickback was due the fact that the the primary line was tied way off-set/outside its rigging point with several yards of foliage beyond that point still....so not as straight forward as it might appear. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back