Beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tedster2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Longish lurker, New to South Central. Recently had a discussion where the not so handyman was worried that if we fell a beetle infested pine the beetles would run to the nearby pines. Is there some advice on how to prevent that or should I just rent a sikorsky air crane, lol

The beetle life cycle doesn't work that way. It is the larval form that actually kills the tree. Once the adult hatches it FLIES to the next tree. So while it is important to either debark the wood or move it away from healthy pines, You are not going to see a bunch of beetles scurrying away once it hits the ground.

Recently had a discussion where the not so handyman was worried that if we fell a beetle infested pine the beetles would run to the nearby pines
Depends on which species beetle infestation that one has. Most likely by the time you notice the tree is dead the beetle have already packed up and moved on to another tree. Cutting the tree down won't scatter the beetles anymore than not cutting.

Get a new handyman.
Been trying but he's my mother's hammer, you know, the universal tool for 20 year olds, lol
The beetle life cycle doesn't work that way. It is the larval form that actually kills the tree. Once the adult hatches it FLIES to the next tree. So while it is important to either debark the wood or move it away from healthy pines, You are not going to see a bunch of beetles scurrying away once it hits the ground.
Kinda figured, just wanted to be sure, since there isnt -40 Temps here to kill em and all. So far I'm getting about 50/50 good vs bad 'tips' here.

Depends on which species beetle infestation that one has. Most likely by the time you notice the tree is dead the beetle have already packed up and moved on to another tree. Cutting the tree down won't scatter the beetles anymore than not cutting.
Pine beetles are nothing new but just double checking. Now the aspen beetles......

Pine beetles are nothing new but just double checking. Now the aspen beetles......
For Pine Beetles check around the base of the tree for saw dust from the beetles boring into the tree. If Pine Beetles have attacked the tree where they attack the tree will look like the tree was shot with a shotgun with bird shot where they bored in.

if caught early enough I think you can use a chemical name lindaine (spelling most likely wrong) to save a pine, spraying with that stuff you must be carefull read the warning label.

Also if a yard tree that you want to protect Direct injection of pesticides through the bark and into the trunk of conifers is an environmentally sound and economical way of treating for Bark Beetles, Emamectin Benzoate being one chemical for Systemic Insecticide Injection.

For Pine Beetles check around the base of the tree for saw dust from the beetles boring into the tree. If Pine Beetles have attacked the tree where they attack the tree will look like the tree was shot with a shotgun with bird shot where they bored in.
Oh yeah, plus the top 30ft or so has self debarked as is the lower 50 slowly doing too. Could wait on bluebonnet but after 2011 I'm a bit gun(fire) shy, lol.

if caught early enough I think you can use a chemical name lindaine (spelling most likely wrong) to save a pine, spraying with that stuff you must be carefull read the warning label.
As that it seems hotter by the year I'd love to save the stand, so thanks, I'll look for it. As for PPE, i don't even spray panther piss without gloves anymore so will be cautious, but it's good to be reminded.

Also if a yard tree that you want to protect Direct injection of pesticides through the bark and into the trunk of conifers is an environmentally sound and economical way of treating for Bark Beetles, Emamectin Benzoate being one chemical for Systemic Insecticide Injection.
Thxs AT, that might save what little lung capacity I have left.

I haven't thought of Lindane for over 30 years. It was a clorinated hydrocarbon, in the same class of insecticides as DDT. I suspect it's been off the market for years, but it was the treatment of preference for borers, back in the day.

Researching...

Yep, it's off the market, except as a pharmaceutical treatment for scabies and other kinds of mites.

" In 2009, the production and agricultural use of lindane was banned under the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants."​

I haven't thought of Lindane for over 30 years. It was a clorinated hydrocarbon, in the same class of insecticides as DDT. I suspect it's been off the market for years, but it was the treatment of preference for borers, back in the day.

Researching...

Yep, it's off the market, except as a pharmaceutical treatment for scabies and other kinds of mites.

" In 2009, the production and agricultural use of lindane was banned under the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants."​
Thxs fir the r&d

Back