Beginner milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So as some of you may know I put a couple of guns up for trade for a saw to mill with, I had a bunch of interest but nothing concrete came of it. I sold one so now I'm just looking to buy a saw.

I'm looking for a saw that I will be able to mill 24" (actual cutting width of 24") maybe eventually I'd like to mill an ash tree I have access to that's about 30" wide. I'm assuming generally the bigger the saw the better it is for milling. There was a stihl 084 local on Craigslist that was $700 which I thought was pretty cheap, but it's gone now.

My question is what size saw should I be looking at? I was under the impression a 70cc saw would do but After doing some reading and I don't think it'll do. Will a husqvarna 372xp work? Will 390xp do the trick or an ms660? Ideally I'd like an older 084 or 088. Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm sure this has been beat to death but I searched and couldn't find a similar thread.

I can't compare to the Husky's as I haven't ever run anything beyond a Rancher 460 (which isn't enough for milling, IMO). From what I have read there's a big difference between the 390 and the 395 when it comes to milling...but again, that info is third shitter from the right.

In hardwoods I feel like my 661 is tapped out at 36". At the same time, my 461 is an absolute breeze at 16"---rips just as fast as you can push it. In other words, I don't think you need 120cc saw for what you're talking about. I won't be milling anything with less than a 461 ever, and I'm not-so-secretly longing for something in the 120cc class for real big wood.

I can't compare to the Husky's as I haven't ever run anything beyond a Rancher 460 (which isn't enough for milling, IMO). From what I have read there's a big difference between the 390 and the 395 when it comes to milling...but again, that info is third shitter from the right.

In hardwoods I feel like my 661 is tapped out at 36". At the same time, my 461 is an absolute breeze at 16"---rips just as fast as you can push it. In other words, I don't think you need 120cc saw for what you're talking about. I won't be milling anything with less than a 461 ever, and I'm not-so-secretly longing for something in the 120cc class for real big wood.

I don't think I need an 880 or 084/088 either. I was more interested in a 660/390xp. I can get them used in the $500-700 range. Although if I found an 08 series stihl for cheap I'd grab it, I can always just run a short bar on it. Most of the stuff I have ready to mill is in the 18-24 range but I haven't been keeping anything bigger than that because I don't have 3k to spend on a mill set up. If I got an 08 series I would go after some of the bigger stuff.

So a 36" bar taps out the 660 or 36" of cut width taps it out?

In 18-24" wood a 660 class saw would be a beast, IMO.

36" cut is about enough for me with the 661. Maybe the more experienced folks might know better (there's plenty of people milling wider with a saw that size) but that's all I want to do with a 661.

If you go husky than 394/395xp, I can't speak for the creamsicles. I run a ported 394xp and my milling bars are 28"-42" and have no problems. My thought when I was looking was to get more than I might need and I have needed it!

Get as much saw as you can afford. That being said for most people a 90cc class saw will be more useful as a dual purpose saw than a really big one that is only useful for milling or monster trees.

Unless you are doing live edge you'll find a 24" bar should do 30" logs as you can take off a slab(s) from the edge(s).

Latest posts

Back