Bench Grinder Suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistol pete

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ready to start sharpening my own chains. Is there a bench grinder, that can put a nice edge on a chain? No one around here, seems to be able to do it. I usually end up buying new chains, for that razor sharp, factory edge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

511/511a Oregon or a knock of... does a really nice job you just have to spend the time and learn to do it right. A good set of grinding wheels or a big dressing brick help alot in this area.

511ax seems to be the new standard everyone likes to suggest b/c it has a symetrical table that will sharpen your cutters to the same length side to side. I sharpen A LOT of chain and the tables wear out and the clamping lever is less than ideal if you put a piece of wood or iron on the bottom and clamp it in a bench vice (like everyone else). It's more b/c the clamp lever blocks your line of sight to the angle markings so you always have to bend over to get it lined up right on the money.

A little time and practice on a knock off 511/511a and you'll have a decent grinder for $100 that will last you forever for personal use.

what's your price range?

Also did you consider hand filing? how many chains are you doing? The little $20 husky filing kits leave a superior edge over a grinder.

Back