Bending Drooping Twisting Maple Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This tree is a rather healthy nursey grown tree, the growth patterns are consistant with the heading techniques used by nurseries to make a small tree look fuller, thus more desirable to the uninformed consumer.

The belmishes on the leaves are any one of a number of fungal problems and look to be an aesthetic problem only.

When choosing a young tree to plant, I look for something with a single leader or well formed double lead. Your tree has a very tight group of branch unions, this can cause problems long term.

ImageIMG_2198.jpg-thumb_105_140.jpg

I would probably take the skinny branch in the front out then reduce one of the two big codom stems severly for removal in a year or so.

I would not be too concerned with any other thinning till these concerns are addressed, unless there were one or two quick directional cuts that could be made on sections that are intended for scaffold.

ImageIMG_2194.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

with these I would look at the two brances and long term structure would cause me to decide wihc to go if any. maybe the can be separated and not removed.

it is a shame that the nursery industry is driven to sell what the consumer wants instead of informing them as to waht is best long term.

Now I want a close up of the base of the tree where it meets the ground. Pull the grass away by hand.

post on you page and then link to this site so it shows up in the page.

Carl

You should definitely consider any advice that JP has to offer. He is an extremely smart guy who knows his stuff when it comes to arboriculture. BTW, I took the cyber tour of your house. Congratualtions! Your house is beautiful. I would love to own a house like that one day. That will have to wait until I get into a career though. Its college for now after all I am only 20! Good luck with your tree and any future endeavors you may encounter.

I missed this post while I was on vacation!

Well at least I can see that the nursery trade is at least consistant with the plant material they produce. Everything visible in that tree is in 60% of the trees planted by contractors here.

It's a shame to have to FIX a tree so young. But if you have it established in the yard you need to tend to it to improve its structure. So at least the pruning cut will be small and close fast.

Lets see the base of the tree like JPS asked. This is a critical step in keeping this tree healthy.

Latest posts

Back