Big bore 044,046 kits from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin Garrison

Justin Garrison

ArboristSite Operative
Has anyone else bought or used them? I finally got mine in! During assembly I had a ring break, and I swear it wasn't my fault, it was cheap. Got the other one on fine,had baileys send me another one and that went on fine too. I finished assembly and it started up. Finnaly after 10months the 046 was running. It seems to have alot of power and runs good but I have never ran a stock 046 or any other stihl bigger than my 029. My brother challenged me to a race my 046 against his Mac 610. And he thought he had a chance. One concern of mine was the overall quality of the cylinder the intake is not exactly square compared to the original, and the decomp threads stick about 2mms into the cylinder top dome where as it fits flush on the origional, but hey it works and it is a bargain! Have not used the saw alot or even truley broken it in yet but it works pretty good.

begleytree

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
So what do you think of it? recommend it or not?
I have a 46 I want to send Dean, thought about picking up an overbore kit, and seeing what magic he could work with it. Now if he'd only reply to my pm........
-Ralph

Justin Garrison

Justin Garrison

ArboristSite Operative
I think that the intake port needs work. And the exhaust as well. But it seems to run good and it sure rips but as I stated I am new to running big saws so I cant really compare it.

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
klickitatsacket said:
I have a customer who just ordered one and is having a stage 2 conversion done to it as well. I will keep you up dated as to what I think of them, how well they take to opening up and performance gains.

It will be interesting to see how this saw turns out. I know that there is one aftermarket company out there making top end kits that seem to be a good product, especially for the price, that have porting significantly different from OEM and actually don`t port all that well.

I`m skeptical that these big bore kits are going to be a solid basis for a ported saw but don`t get me wrong, the big bore kit itself is probably a good way to save/reuse a good bottom end while gaining a little grunt for short money.

Russ

Latest posts