Big or small trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of tree do you prefer?

• Small and easy

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Big and easy

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Small and tough

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Big and tough

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I was taking down 3 arbs today that went up and over the house. They each had rot in the bases and were pretty darn skinny. I was definatley afraid to rig anything out of these guys. I wound up going up them and brushing them out on the way up. They were each probably 50 - 60 foot tall. As I got out towards the tips I got pretty scared. I wound up blowing the tips out of each of them which barely missed the roof but that's ok. I would much rather deal with trees that are in the 2 - 4 foot diameter range. Do you guys have preferences as to small or large trees? I like the big ones because you have so much more room to work and because your body means so much less in them than with the small ones.

Given my choice I would rather a big wide crown clean that chalenges my climbing skills.

If you would have bought a GRCS you could have pulled the trees over into a pile. :cool: Mount winch once, move the redirect around if needed for best angle.

No way to clear drop em. 1 way was the house, the other way was a lamp post plus some building material, the other way would have gone into the house probably by the new addition, the back way would have required a LOT of force and would have gone on the septic as well as into some hemlocks that belong to the neighbor.

poll trees

There is nothing I hate more than a tall skinny elm over haning a house with a case of Dutch Elm Disease. It would be nice if I my weight was about 1/2 what it is, like it was 30 years ago. Did one like that last year that was 2' from the house and the lady owner was out there giving me pointers on how to cut it. If she had a clue about trees she would have called to have it removed before half of it died, like when the leaves turned brown in june the year before and fell off. Just yell down 'yes mam' and cut it like it should be done. Guess she didn't want it through her stained glass window or the huge skylights on the roof. She was really worried I'd drop a limb on to the air conditioner unit that she had paid to have installed three times before it worked right. She only paid twice for the skylights before they got them to stop leaking, the third time they replaced the entire roof, it wasn't the skylights that leaked it was the roof was bad. Why didn't she have that tree removed BEFORE they did the roof???? You will run into all kinds out there, let's hope your people skills are as good as your tree removal skills.

looks like all us macho treemen like the big hard trees! Who wants to admit that they would prefer a lil easy tree? :blob2:

i love'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cleaned out a pair of 30' laurel oaks today......
took me 4 hours (including dump time).
the trees were never pruned so i took out the dead
wood, cut out a bunch of suckers, got rid of some criss-
crossing branches and put 300 in my pocket before noon.
i love the small ones, helps me learn!!!!!!!! on the job training.
budroe:cool:
p.s. took the rest of the day off and went out in the boat!!!!!!!
had some trout on the grill for dinner!!!!!!!
yum-yum

I love the easy jobs,quick $$$...no need in working all the time,there are fish to catch and snakes to bother. I like to line up all our crane jobs for a single day of takedowns,it is hard on the body but it is so much fun to ride the crane.My father handles the slings while I sit and wait for the next cut.He is 58 yrs. on the 28th of this month so you know he gets a big kick riding on the hook. The old timers kick ass too!

Latest posts

Back