black locust, mulbery, hedge. can you see the difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought some pics might be helpful. the first 2 pics are of the bark. i wrote BL, on the black locust, M on the mulberry, and H, on the hedge. black locust has a very distinct bark. each piece of bark is very long. if you tried to peel off a piece of the bark it appears as if it would come off in 6ft+ lengths. Mulberry. has a much more tightly spaced smaller pieces of bark. Hedge is very orange and flakier type of bark. these pieces have lost a lil color sittin in the sun for the last year.

DSCN0534_zps0abeb1ac.jpg

DSCN0535_zps8058d383.jpg

the next pic is BL, mulberry, hedge, left to right. after they have been cut and laying in the sun for a year. notice how the BL and the mulberry are almost the same color, while the hedge has a dark orange color.

DSCN0537_zpsb55f8a71.jpg

here is the same 3 pieces 1 week after I cut them.
DSCN0538_zpsc60f56e8.jpg

same 3 pieces with freshly cut. I think its neat how the mulberry and the hedge end grains look close to the same color. but after seasoning the BL and mulberry end grains look almost identical.
DSCN0540_zps49d1a940.jpg

I hope this helps!!!

Back