Black oozing holes Acer Sacc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Tree 1
Homeowner has: Weakly attached Acer Sacc. Sugar maple multi-stemmed, app. 30 ft tall 4 stems app. 12 in DBH Included root system with sweet gum. No hazards underneath or surrounding areas, trees are vigorous and strong. App. 15 ft. from asphalt rd. Annual landscaping systemic fert.

Notice black oozing sores 1 foot up from ground on all stems of Acer Sacc. Discoloration of bark, dark color and in some spots rust colored to developing black oozing, hole approx. 1 cm. Estimate 9 hole , 4 of which are weeping.

Tree2
Also are there any (Anti-Viral) topical treatments for lack in vigor in Dogwoods.?

Talking with a friend they suggested Tree 1 has slim flux. This occurs after injury and is usually apparent during spring when sap is high it is also called wet wood. May become frothy because of bacteria colonizing the old wound . May smell like fermenting fruit.
Recommend rinseing wound with mild bleach to prevent further injury.

tree 2
Viral diease is uncommon in dogwoods? Friend says so. That most dogwood are gonna look raty during mid summer due to naturally occuring fungus. Dogwood should be planted away from human traffic due in large part because of the fungus we carry?
Recomend Kocide application mid-summer.

Tree 1 hard to guess without picture. Slime flux from bacterial infection not common in young sugar maples here; guessing insect may be culprit

Tree 2 dogwoods can respond well to paclobutrazol; use 1/2 of A concentration

Thanks treeseer,
How about some good ole Kocide to treat those dogwoods? From what I understand is good for treating almost all fungus in the landscape? What will the paclobutrazol do?

Tree 1 I agree with your assessment it is insect damage. The holes seem to emmerge from the cambium layer as thou it was a sore from a nematode months before the hole emerged. Younger sores are discoloring the bark rust colored turning to black I assume.I will return dead o fwinter and describe more. Thanks for the reply treeseer

xtremetrees said:
What will the paclobutrazol do?
go to the rainbow forum here on arboristsite to find out, or google it. Tree #1 is sounding more like phytophthora now; impossible to say more without picture.

Phytophthora? I thought that was the sudden oak death syndrom and only affected oaks?
I do suspect a root diease because two sweet gums and afeet away and share root systems. Insect damgae unsure now.However I do not see the same damage to the gum trees.They are healthy and strong. Severe phototropism in the sugar maples because of the gum trees. This is frustrating ill have to take some pics.

xtremetrees said:
Phytophthora? I thought that was the sudden oak death syndrom and only affected oaks?
Phytophthora can affect hundreds of species, google it. Yes a picture would be good.

xtremetrees said:
<i>Phytophthora</i> is the genus name- <i>Phytophthora ramorum</i> is the fungus species that causes SOD on oaks. Like Treeseer said, there are lots of <i>Phytophthora</i> species that can be found infecting many different tree species.

JeffE said:
<i>Phytophthora ramorum</i> is the fungus species that causes SOD on oaks.
There is a correlation between P. ramorum and SOD, but whether or not it is causal is open to speculation. There are reported SOD trees that have no infections. The primary cause may be soil acidification.

The first time I recognized Phytophthora it was on a sugar maple. I saw the lesions and started looking for insects, but a more experienced diagnostician knew it was Phytophthora, and it was confirmed by the lab. Infections are common above girdling roots.

treeseer said:
There is a correlation between P. ramorum and SOD, but whether or not it is causal is open to speculation. There are reported SOD trees that have no infections. The primary cause may be soil acidification.

The first time I recognized Phytophthora it was on a sugar maple. I saw the lesions and started looking for insects, but a more experienced diagnostician knew it was Phytophthora, and it was confirmed by the lab. Infections are common above girdling roots.
Your quibble is valid; I should have said "associated with SOD." It's the old argument about "what killed the tree," as I'm often pointing out with insect pests that hit stressed trees. There's almost always a number of factors involved.

I don't like the common name of the syndrome, in any case. It is neither sudden, nor necessarily deadly, and the pathogen isn't restricted to oaks (to paraphrase a more qualified pathologist than I).

The hype around SOD is awful. But it does get the money flowing...

We've been seeing interesting stuff with <I>Phytophthora cinnamomi</i> here, with bleeding cankers very much like the description of the maple posted here, so I thought that your idea was good.

Latest posts

Back