Bonzai Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARPEEAGLE

Reaction score
I WAS GIVIN A BONZAI TREE FOR CHRISTMAS. BUT I HAVE LOST MY INSTRUCTIONS . IT WAS DOING REALLY GOOD BUT NOW IT STARTING TO LOOK BROWN LIKE IT IS GOING TO DIE. DO YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF FOOD I CAN GIVE IT. I HAVE BEEN GIVING IT PLENTY OF WATER AND BEEN TAKING IT OUT IN THE FRESH AIR AND SUNSHINE. IF YOU CAN HELP ME OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANKYOU

The first mistake new bonsai owners make is that they think it is a house plant. Genetically you still have a tree and their needs are still that of a tree.

Here in the winter we place the trees in UNHEATED garages or in the ground with the pot buried to the rim. Then in the spring the are take outdoors and protected from frost untill summer. And they are keep out of direct sun because the dry out so quickly

Your tree will probablly not recover.

Most likely it was a juniper. As Jay said, these trees need a winter rest period. I have a pair of junipers and a siberian elm that I have had for about 14 years. They spend about 3 months in the cooler in the greenhouse each winter. Just took them out last week. The elm is starting to leaf as of today. I would suggest a fig as a good choice if you want to try again. I have one that my sister gave me from Kroger's about 5 years ago. Don't panic when it loses all its leaves. They go dormant based on dryness and will releaf a month or so later if kept watered. A good choice of stock is the last week of sales for the season at Kmart. You are down to the real hardy stuff and the price is next to nothing. Shape does not matter since you will probably mess with it anyway. Don't try to train it for a couple of years until it gets established in a pot, preferably one larger than your final one. Then have fun. There are a lot of good sites on the web for advice.

Bob Underwood, in sunny ND.

Bob,

I trained/learned from several experts in the region on bonsai and they had lots of trees. I even pruned/trained some.

They take the stock tree and style and prune top and bottom right fromt he get go. So if you buy one that's styled you typically will not change it just prune to maintain the shape.

Back