Box Elder tree for indoor woodburning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first year up here, I needed seasoned wood and Box Elder was available. It was a softer wood and pretty knarly/crooked. But, it burned up fine. I don't think creosote should be any problem if it is seasoned. I never had any trouble burning any type of wood. I did have to clean the chimney a few times when burning green Ash.

Thanks for the insite. I just called the guy and am going to go pick it up at 4:30. I love free wood! Now I just have to talk a buddy or 2 into coming to help load! The guy with the wood doesn't have a loader or skid steer. Going to be a couple beers consumed after this ordeal!
Thanks again,
Marty

You'll get more creosote from improper burning than from any particular type of wood. Some people have hysterics about burning anything other than the hardest of hardwoods.

Ignore such people. It's free wood, burn it.

Pine is the most commonly burned wood in North America. Works fine. Doesn't burn down houses, contrary to what you hear from the chicken little types. Just clean your chimney once in a while.

You'll get more creosote from improper burning than from any particular type of wood. Some people have hysterics about burning anything other than the hardest of hardwoods.

Ignore such people. It's free wood, burn it.

Pine is the most commonly burned wood in North America. Works fine. Doesn't burn down houses, contrary to what you hear from the chicken little types. Just clean your chimney once in a while.

Amen! Incomplete combustion is the only thing that causes creosote, period.

All wood has almost the same btu's on a weight basis as well. Hardwoods are better on a volume basis, but not by weight. Of course if you're buying wood based on volume this is an issue, but otherwise wood is wood.

I've been working on clearing out some pasture trees for a guy, they are box elder, easy to cut, split, and once dry burns on the quick side but it still heats the house. Proper burning techniques and seasonal cleaning are what is important for any type of wood.

Thanks for the info guys. There was quite a bit more wood there than origningally anticipated, but I got it all home. This find made a good addition to the wood I already have. I'll post pictures when the snow melts.
Take care,
Marty

I would not waste my your time with the Box Elder.... Its a pain in the Bass to split, seems to take longer than other wood to season, and very little coaling properties..... JMHO.

With all the wood down on State land along with the thousands of residential trees removed do NOT waste your time with Box Elder..... Just think of Box Elder as the Carp of firewood..

Back