Brand Type of Fair lead pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use pulleys from REI for fair leading. They have a blue pulley that is like the CMI, only about 9 bucks. It has a 22kn rating and has a nylon sheave. Been using them for years and they work great.

You want me to come tie it for you too? :D
I don't like to give out exact lengths because i think each rope is a little different. So the correct length depends on a few variables, how thick the loop cord is, how thick the host rope is, how loose you like your hitch, and how you tie it.
Have you notice that a true blue is a lot thicker than, say, arborplex? If you use the same loop on those two host lines it will have different holding characteristics.
You should pick a variation of vt, and cut your cord longer than it needs to be(look in the sherrill cataloge for a measurement), tie it where it looks right, and try it real close to ground. Once you get it where it suits you, cut and whip the ends. I also put tape on after whipping, it keeps it from raveling.
I personally tie my vt by making three loops, then three crosses. Unlike many pictures of vts, my crosses go over, then under, then back over again. Not just on top all the way down. Having tested both ways, crossing over and under is much better.
You may want to add a loop or a cross or both, whatever suits you.
A small adjustment in length, makes a big change in how the hitch grabs and releases. Those few people I have heard complain about the vt, haven't fine tuned their hitch to suit their climbing style. You need to spend 15 or 20 minutes adjusting, then trying, adjust, then try, adjust, try. Once you get the length, make two or three cords and you are set.
Oh yeah, I wanted to say those $9 REI pulleys are overpriced, they suc.

Latest posts

Back