Brute Force 3500 initial review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrek_j

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I took the plunge and replaced my Pacific Western owb with the Bruteforce.
My first thought was it's small. The last stove I looked at was the 5800. It is approx. 360 gal, the door was 33x24 or so.
After running the stove, I do not still feel that way. My old stove I could go 2 rounds deep, this one I can only go 1, but with the round barrel can go a lot wider and higher, and it is actually a larger firebox.
The loading door is decent sized, 24x22, can put decent size rounds in without pinching fingers. One of the blowers is located on the loading door and has the airflow towards the top and pointing down towards the ashgrate. Old stove was pointing straight and at the bottom, which would blow the fire out when first starting the stove up and would keep all the heat and coals to the back of the stove. The BF has coals at the front of the stove and all the way back.
The ashdoor is functional, the supplied shovel is crude but works, the highlight of the ash door is the blower that is on it. I'm getting very little ash, and keeps air under the coals, allowing very complete burns. In 5 days, burning 24/7, I ended up with about a cup full of ash.
The ash grate is crude but functional. Makes starting a fire a little inconvenient, but don't plan on starting a fire very often.
Stove is around 240 gallons, built with 3/8" steel for everything, and quite heavy. Entire stove has been spray foamed.
The water gauge is kind of nice, can check water level every time I load the stove.
The control panel is simple, effective, and can control everything at once. You can set the differential, water temp, heating or cooling.
Hook ups are in the back, behind a panel that comes off with 4 tek screws. Has 2 handles on cover for lifting on and off. Has 2 hot and 2 cold water hookups for heating multiple buildings.
The light comes on when its dark, can pivot side to side, but doesn't put a lot of light into the firebox.
I live on the ridge, and the wind never stops blowing. Monday we had 30-40 mph winds, was around 20° F and stove ran all day, loaded at 4:30 am and put more in at 6 pm, was about 1/4 full at 6. Keeps the house @ 71° just fine.
Only downfall is there is no damper for the chimney. Opening the door when the blower is off, it will smoke out the door for about a min, then clear up. Also sits a little low to the ground, about same as my old stove.
Overall I am very happy with the stove. I would buy it again. Paid $6541 after tax and delivered. My dealer has all main parts in stock and has been able to answer any questions I have had. Pictures to come after I get my new phone today.

Well I took the plunge and replaced my Pacific Western owb with the Bruteforce.
My first thought was it's small. The last stove I looked at was the 5800. It is approx. 360 gal, the door was 33x24 or so.
After running the stove, I do not still feel that way. My old stove I could go 2 rounds deep, this one I can only go 1, but with the round barrel can go a lot wider and higher, and it is actually a larger firebox.
The loading door is decent sized, 24x22, can put decent size rounds in without pinching fingers. One of the blowers is located on the loading door and has the airflow towards the top and pointing down towards the ashgrate. Old stove was pointing straight and at the bottom, which would blow the fire out when first starting the stove up and would keep all the heat and coals to the back of the stove. The BF has coals at the front of the stove and all the way back.
The ashdoor is functional, the supplied shovel is crude but works, the highlight of the ash door is the blower that is on it. I'm getting very little ash, and keeps air under the coals, allowing very complete burns. In 5 days, burning 24/7, I ended up with about a cup full of ash.
The ash grate is crude but functional. Makes starting a fire a little inconvenient, but don't plan on starting a fire very often.
Stove is around 240 gallons, built with 3/8" steel for everything, and quite heavy. Entire stove has been spray foamed.
The water gauge is kind of nice, can check water level every time I load the stove.
The control panel is simple, effective, and can control everything at once. You can set the differential, water temp, heating or cooling.
Hook ups are in the back, behind a panel that comes off with 4 tek screws. Has 2 handles on cover for lifting on and off. Has 2 hot and 2 cold water hookups for heating multiple buildings.
The light comes on when its dark, can pivot side to side, but doesn't put a lot of light into the firebox.
I live on the ridge, and the wind never stops blowing. Monday we had 30-40 mph winds, was around 20° F and stove ran all day, loaded at 4:30 am and put more in at 6 pm, was about 1/4 full at 6. Keeps the house @ 71° just fine.
Only downfall is there is no damper for the chimney. Opening the door when the blower is off, it will smoke out the door for about a min, then clear up. Also sits a little low to the ground, about same as my old stove.
Overall I am very happy with the stove. I would buy it again. Paid $6541 after tax and delivered. My dealer has all main parts in stock and has been able to answer any questions I have had. Pictures to come after I get my new phone today.

5 days aint enough time for a review!:nofunny:

Sorry guys, the whole new phone thing hasn't been working out so well. If the weather is nice tomorrow I will get some up for sure

Those were from this morning, stove ran for 15 hrs and was just starting to lose temp. Had dropped 6° F below differential. I have it set for 150 with a 7° differential.

Mine shuts off at 180° with a 7 ° differential. Most guys I know run them @ that temp or hotter. Might want to check manual on temps. Nice boiler

Mine shuts off at 180° with a 7 ° differential. Most guys I know run them @ that temp or hotter. Might want to check manual on temps. Nice boiler
My dealer said 150 when is warmer, once it cools off 170. I ran my old stove around 180 to 200. @ 150 it keeps the water hot and house warm so I'm good with that

Off topic kinda but Is there a way to automatically change your set temp based on outside temp? The propane boiler at my old job has an outside temp probe. Been 6 years or so but IIRC above freezing it was set to 140° and below freezing it bumped up to 180°. Before that temp probe was installed... At 140 on cold days it wouldn't keep the shop warm but set to 180 it would roast you on the 40° days without the circulation pumps ever turning on

Is there a bypass loop on it, or return temp protection?

You don't want return temps on a wood boiler to be much below 140 for very long. They should really be above 140 at all times. Return temps below that can cause excessive creosote condensation in the firebox, and increased corrosion potential. Chances are they're below 140 all the time with a 150 setpoint. Might help to measure them accurately to know for sure, but I would seriously consider upping setpoint some.

Hi folks - sorry to revive and hijack such an old thread, but this is the best source I've found for the Brute Force wood stove that promises any type of help!

I bought a place in May 2021 with a Brute Force 5800 (I think that's the model - nothing on it identifies other than BRUTE FORCE).

I just wanted to ask the Brute Force owners here if anyone has an online PDF manual with technical specifications? The owners manual left behind for me is very elementary and doesn't have ANY technical specifications (like size of tank, and all the other goodies one would expect with technical info, part numbers, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back