Buckthorn basal bark treatment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have successfully treated many acres of buckthorn with Garlon/diesel/basal bark? My question is...has anyone successfully treated buckthorn by spraying this herbicide treatment on only ONE side of the buckthorn stem? Even if it takes a few years it would double the amount of area covered.

On smaller stems (1"?) the oil will eventually wick around and cover all sides. On stems up to ~3", if the stem is sloped and not straight up and down, and you apply herbicide above knee height, the oil will usually wrap around as it runs down the stem. This assumes you're applying it heavy enough on the one side. I apply a thin stream of 20% triclopyr 4, and use just enough to wrap around the stem in a band about 3x the stem diameter. No need to fully cover the bottom 18" of the stem like some old sources say. On larger stems I do hit both sides. Disclaimer - this is on autumn olive, bush honeysuckle and privet. I don't have buckthorn here.

On smaller stems (1"?) the oil will eventually wick around and cover all sides. On stems up to ~3", if the stem is sloped and not straight up and down, and you apply herbicide above knee height, the oil will usually wrap around as it runs down the stem. This assumes you're applying it heavy enough on the one side. I apply a thin stream of 20% triclopyr 4, and use just enough to wrap around the stem in a band about 3x the stem diameter. No need to fully cover the bottom 18" of the stem like some old sources say. On larger stems I do hit both sides. Disclaimer - this is on autumn olive, bush honeysuckle and privet. I don't have buckthorn here.
Do you get a pretty good kill rate? Does it take more than a year to see results?

Sorry this took so long, haven't checked this subforum in a while. On autumn olive I've seen effects within days during the growing season. Stone cold dead before end of summer after a spring application.

Latest posts

Back