bugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geofore

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This week out in the greater Pittsburgh (PA) area I have seen the Termites with wings flying, Gypsy moths are hatching and the tentworms are at the cherrytrees making tents. I was out cutting trees and I noticed a few bugs were begining to stir,spring is here and in a week or so the mushrooms will be growing on the cottonwoods over on the stripmine. I believe the old timers call the trees water poplar. They grow well on old stripmine tailings and the oyster mushrooms grow well on the trees that are dying or dead. There are three trees I've had good results on spoil banks with, red pine, poplar or cottonwood and locust. Any other suggestions for trees that do well on spoil banks? The sawtooth Oak are stunted growth and the walnut are eaten, stripped of bark, by the ground hog and deer.

I would think Aspen would be a good candidate. It seems to want to pioneer anywhere in my area. fast growing but relatively shortlived and shallow rooted.

Latest posts

Back