cab and chassis changeove from C60to inter4700

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctkiteboarding

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok got an old c60 ,gas and she is ready for a rest ,, looked at a 4700 w/ 250k dt 466 ,5speed, flat bed , how much should it cost to switch these trucks and how difficult is this? or should i look for a new hi ranger ,
paid 7500 for the C60 w/ hi ranger several yrs ago and the inter is 6k to get the title??
thanks in advance R

ctkiteboarding said:
ok got an old c60 ,gas and she is ready for a rest ,, looked at a 4700 w/ 250k dt 466 ,5speed, flat bed , how much should it cost to switch these trucks and how difficult is this? or should i look for a new hi ranger ,
paid 7500 for the C60 w/ hi ranger several yrs ago and the inter is 6k to get the title??
thanks in advance R

What all are you trying to switch? Just the hi ranger?

A couple pictures would help with how much work is involved.

A few things to check would be how much is attached to the org. flat-bed,,,, like the stablizers, how the flat-bed is attached to the old truck frame ect,,,

And you need to check what would be needed done to the springs (there are uasuly an extra spring under the heaver side), length and width of the frames, and have a good idea of the foot-print the hi ranger would have as to what would be in the way on the newer truck, as I'm sure that you couldent just drive the newer truck under it and reattach it?

But it would be a cool project, but how long can the truck be down for?

Kevin

Last edited:
thats the big problem , i need it, esp spring time a local hi ranger guy took a look today and said 3 to 4 k thats w/ a new pto , remounting on the new chassis new front bumper and up risers to orig cab protector ,,tool box's are extra,,, the wheel base is 12 inch's longer then the gmc ,,, id prefer to shorten it up then go longer ,,, i can shorten it 16' to decrease the turn radius and maneuverability but thats another 1500,,,, and ill have to shorten the steel flat bed as well,,,, could be 1 2 weeks down time R

Since the trucks are both medium duty trucks the frames are a standardized width. You will need to make new wood/metal spacers to go between the flat bed and frame. You mentioned a new front bumper, I will assume you are going to use a front mount PTO. You should be able to use a trans mounted PTO unit. I would need to see how the High Ranger mounts to the truck to make any comments on that. I personally would not worry about a 12" difference in wheel base. It will not make a huge difference in turning radius. You could check into increasing the "cramp angle" which is how far the steer wheels turn at full lock.

turns out we can take off 20" in the frame,, do think that will be worth the expense ? 2K w/ a hitch plate,,

im also looking for a large saw box between the cab and hi ranger,,, R

$2000 for just hacking off the back of the frame rails, re-attaching the tail lights and welding up a hitch plate without moving the rear axle seems a bit high to me.
I would sit down with some paper and sketch out some ideas you want on this new chassis. It is much easier to shorten a frame then to lengthen it.

no sorry for the vauge info
2k is for removing the flat bed, moving the rear end in 20" ,
a new drive shaft and carrier mount and bearing ,
hackin the rails , fabing a new hitch plate w/both pintle and reciever,
super heavy to be able to tow a 9ton trailer ,,
d rings , electic break plug and controler,, painted black,, tax out the door,, its in the ball park for sure ,,, R

A 1972 boom is awfully old. Most are retired long before that. I would look for a new boom or newer truck with a boom already on it. Also the the boom would be worth nowhere near the $3 to $4k to remount it.

protreecare makes a very good point.
Give me some general specs of you want on this boom truck. There is a place near me that specializes in selling used boom trucks. I could get some idea cost wise to retrofit, or buy what you are looking for. That way you could make a better educated decision.

well , i prefer a international truck under 26gvw no air brakes,,, min 57 working height,,, my boom is a 53 and at least 6' from the ground to the lower mount, max 65' , flat bed w/ a short w/b is a must for residental work,,, light light light,,, need to tread lightly over lawns etc, and the big issue is 20k or so,,, super hard to find around here most trucks are 25 to 35k,,, the hi ranger i have is super cln and the gentleman that has serviced it since early 80's has a love affair with it , its in need of a coat of paint but thats about it,,, thank R

Give a rough dimension of how short of a wheel base. Because what I think is short might not be to you. Personally I would not worry about CDL requirements they are really no big deal. I do not think you will find anything light weight in a medium duty truck. Your best bet is to run Super single tires to lessen the pressure per square inch each tire has on the ground. I would also get some 1" thick sheets of plywood and 2x10 planks to drive onto this will further distribute the weight. Same principle applies to the stabilizer legs.

the 4700 will be shortened to 96" cab to axle,,

we use the plywood and planks often,,, the big issue is total weight,,,

also im the only cdl operator in my crew so under the cdl is huge,,,

, i no im asking for the world ,
but its what my requirements are and if im footing the bill ,
why are u guys so adamant about the hi ranger i have now ,,, is it just to old for safty reasons? remember we are not just a tree service,, so this unit will be used a few times a month,,, just can justify the expense of a 30k unit R

I went by that dealer today and they have about a dozen bucket trucks. I have no experience with this dealer nor do I know of anybody who has either. I just knew they have bucket trucks in stock. Many are from Utility tree services.
As far as the truck weight goes I guess I am confused, if the issue is not sinking into the ground then why is "the total weight" an issue. This truck will weigh about 15k empty, 25k with crew, tools, fluids, and wood load.
I do not think you are asking for the world, I am just trying to help you, and to do so I need to understand your needs.
Getting back to your high ranger. Your current lift is in fact real old. I am not trying to insult anything here, just calling it as I see it (so to speak). Firetrucks use their ladders, towers, etc. much less often then I bet you use that boom. They must pass a yearly safety test/certification, and at that they have a average front line duty life of 10 years. After that they are usually put into reserve status for another 10 years, then they are retired.
Consider that your lift should have been retired 14 years ago, and when was the last time it was safety tested, and certified.
Like I said earlier, I am not trying to degrade you or your equipment. Time, weather, stresses from normal use all take their toll.

Last edited:
no i don't take constructive input any other way than constructive,,, thanks for the replies ,,
I've had this hi ranger for several years if not more and it has always been really good ,, i have had it inspected and serviced by a excellent hi ranger tech. and he seems to think she is in great shape,, as for other test and certifications i have not had these done but would consider it for sure, any local places that might be able to ck my unit out ? northeast area

the overall weight is just that overall weight ,,, even with the plywood and planks i prefer a light unit for the work i do,,, i don't think a large utility body on 33k gvw truck is in the picture,,, so I'm trying to get a set up with these specs,,,, I'm sure im not the first guy looking for a short wheel base, light truck for residential applications,,,

whats the name of the dealer you speak of ? any websites i can go to?

i hate to put a price on my safety but im sure all small co. owners can relate to just not enough cash to buy that newer unit,, I've seen only one and its also on the old side and not a very well liked unit,,, just cant afford 30 40 k on a truck that is not working everyday,, I'm looking hi and low for a good unit but they are all 10k or more out of my budget,,, R

The name of the dealer is Pettit Auto & Truck Sales. 815-874-5545. I do not think they have a web site, at least none was listed on the sign. I would not recommend buying anything unless you saw and used it for your self prior to the purchase. I can't say anything good or bad about this dealer, I have not had any experience with them.

Back