California firewood business taxes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fryeguy2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In the last two years ive started up my firewood business again. Ive bought several pieces of equipment and have been spending quite a bit on supplies and repairs this year. I think it would be worthwhile to declare my income and be able to write off my expenses. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whats involved in setting up a legitamate firewood business, and what I would need to do in order to file taxes and write off expenses. It will not be my only source of income, I have a job also, but it will make up a large part of it.

thanks for the help.

Jerah

you will have to do all the steps that everyone had to do on this site. thats if they are a registered business. just because you do firewood, if you sell enough of it, the red tape is all the same. i would call your city hall first and start there. every state is different, but i think the federal part of it is the same. no matter what, from what it sounds like, you will be paying more money to uncle sam. my advice, if your a small firewood business, just keep on doing what you are doing.

there are 2 main types of businesses that i am familuar with, a DBA and a LLC. what i have been told is the LLC can provide more protection for your assets than a DBA.
i am sure that somone here will have more and better info to help you decide which route to go and how.
for me i have a DBA for my snow plowing business. i am a sub for a small company and to get paid i had to get the DBA for tax reasons.

Last edited:
Back