can i braze an exhaust mount repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamMann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a Dolmar 133 with decent potential. Only major issue is that the muffler was damaged & one muffler mount is broken off the cylinder. Thinkin i might cut a mount off any junk cylinder & braze it on with aluminum brazing rods or something like that. Curious if anyone has experience attempting to braze on cast aluminum cylinders?

Looks like melting point of the brazing material is 728° F, which is below the (1220°F) melting temp of the cast aluminum. Got a few junk cylinders I guess I can test it on...

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_172428.jpg
    IMG_20220416_172428.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 2
Braze... probably not so much. TIG weld maybe. Aluminum has to be really clean and it is very easy to overheat it.

eVilbay has a used p&c for a bit of a price. Gamble on not being able to see inside the cyl. Could ask seller for more pics though...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352379911041?hash=item520b7abb81:g:VQAAAOSwkkNbIbqy
Yah, overheating was definitely a concern. Will look into local tig options. Ebay's not an option in Canada. Something as light/small as a penny cost like $30-$40 to get shipped to Canada through Ebay's international shipping program. I'll never understand it.

Yah, overheating was definitely a concern. Will look into local tig options. Ebay's not an option in Canada. Something as light/small as a penny cost like $30-$40 to get shipped to Canada through Ebay's international shipping program. I'll never understand it.
I just bought a 100ft reel of chain on eBay from the us and it only cost me $40 shipped to Canada theirs also Canadian sellers on there too.

Latest posts

Back