Can I get hot air out of my IWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtu160

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a simple idea, I just dont know how to do it. I have a sealed indoor wood boiler. From the top of the stove I have maybe 5 feet to the first floor. I want to get the hot air out of my stove and force it up to a duct in my dinning room. I think I'm more confussed how to do it.

A family friend has a nice insert with a blower and that is nice.

Last edited:
run duct work into the FEED duct of your living room. you can also get fans that are inside of the duct to assist with air flow.

just be sure you're tying into the FEED and not the cold air return duct.

I have a simple idea, I just dont know how to do it. I have a sealed indoor wood boiler. From the top of the stove I have maybe 5 feet to the first floor. I want to get the hot air out of my stove and force it up to a duct in my dinning room. I think I'm more confussed how to do it.

A family friend has a nice insert with a blower and that is nice.

Boiler or stove?

Duct work for heating system? or Radiant heat system tied into the wood boiler?

A little more detail would help.:cheers:

If it is a boiler don't we need a heat exchanger of some sort? Is the duct work existing? Part of furnace system? Need to ditribute to rest of house?

I think we need more information. Once we get it, there is a lot of experience here with hot water heating systems to help you out.

Don

Hello. It's a wood boiler tied into an oil boiler that heats via hot water running through raditors. No duct work at all and not looking for whole house right now, just want to go 5 feet up to the dinning room. First floor is open floor plan. Just want to get some of that hot air out thats sitting there doing nothing. I said before family has an insert with a fan, and I like that. He can turn it off, low,Hi.

You can have a plenum made to sit on top of the stove to capture heat from the top. Then you could hook a duct into the room above. If you wanted a blower, one could be mounted in the duct line or a blower could be attached to the plenum. If you wanted to take it a step further, a cold air return could be added into the plenum from the room.

The one concern I would have would be a smell from the basement being drawn into the plenum. If the smell was too much, you can install a activated carbon filter.

Latest posts

Back