can't wait to get back in the fields

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 83629

Even though I'm a farm hand i love working it even though it is tough sometimes. Last year hit us hard to much rain about killed the crop in June-July,That is burley tobacco you are seeing there.
th.jpg

You can grow it for you're own personal consumption but you can't sell it or give it away.

What do you use to replenish the soil the following year? I grew some in part of my garden a few years ago and it hasn't been the same since.

Even though I'm a farm hand i love working it even though it is tough sometimes. Last year hit us hard to much rain about killed the crop in June-July,That is burley tobacco you are seeing there.
View attachment 340008

Me too. I'm a farmland owner and support my neighbor's family dairy operation. I grow feed corn and produce hay for his cows. I also sell hay for horses, and put some up for our two horses. He and his wife are the nicest people around. The pic is a picture of them with my tractor and wagon full of hay. The other one is from the cab while baling.

hay delivery 2012.jpg

baling hay 2012.jpg

cab tractor you're lucky we still use old fords and massey fergusons with only a sun shade.

That too most of everything is a gas operation with only 2 old diesel for plowing and disc work, though were going to try chisel plowing this year not sure how it is going to work in the heavy clay around here.

the clay up your way looks like ours but clay here has almost a tan color when dry. its sticky and heavy when wet or moist and like dust and concrete when dry we go about plowing once with the furrows all the way down then disc it continuously. just got down with plant beds now onto seeding the trays for the crop. GMO hybrid burley great stuff also the worms and bugs wont eat up like regular burley.

Yep, a Super Hayliner 68 with a #50 kicker.

Belt kicker on that right? I've got lots of hours behind a bailer and in the mow. Use to milk 600+ head from 5:30 till lunch then go pick rocks and throw hay. I'd choose hay over rocks any day.

the clay up your way looks like ours but clay here has almost a tan color when dry. its sticky and heavy when wet or moist and like dust and concrete when dry we go about plowing once with the furrows all the way down then disc it continuously. just got down with plant beds now onto seeding the trays for the crop. GMO hybrid burley great stuff also the worms and bugs wont eat up like regular burley.

Ours is the same tan stuff at about 3' deep. Useless when wet and concrete when dry! Have to work it at the exactly right time.

Belt kicker on that right? I've got lots of hours behind a bailer and in the mow. Use to milk 600+ head from 5:30 till lunch then go pick rocks and throw hay. I'd choose hay over rocks any day.

That's a big herd! We milk about 90.

Yes that's a #50 kicker on back. I wasn't throwing good at the end of the season, so I need to tweak it. We have no rocks in the fields to speak of, except some pieces of bedrock that rise up here and there. I remove them with the excavator and use them for road fill.

Yep, 650 is a lot of head, we used a double 13 herringbone parlor just up until they hit about 8-900 head and were milking non stop around the clock. Only took one hour to shutdown and wash. They have since switched to a 50 cow carousel. That was about 10 years ago, I have no idea how many they have now.

Back