Carburetor compatibility

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheepish

Reaction score
I've got a Stihl FS80 brushcutter. About 10 years old. It's gradually stopped running, needing more and more choke to idle and then wouldn't start. I had the carb off and cleaned it, and now it won't even prime. With the diaphragm removed I can blow easily through the intake pipe. Diaphragm in place its very restricted. Don't know if that's normal?

I would just throw a rebuild kit at it but the carb is a Zuma C1Q S41A, and the availability of rebuild kits in the UK for these is limited, and fairly pricey. I can buy any number of Zuma or Walbro carbs for about twice the price of a rebuild kit. But not another C1Q S41.

What's the deal with carb compatibility? Is there anyway of knowing what other carb would be suitable? Anything to look out for? Can find a few threads on the priming issue, but no obvious fixes, so wary of throwing money at the carb I have.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

I highly advise against attempting to rebuild the carb's anymore. Generally they aren't worth it. I've seen some luck when tossed in an ultrasonic cleaner and if you can find a sealant that magically holds up to the ethanol we have over here in our fuel and then spend money on a rebuild kit... I don't know it's cheaper in the long run to replace it...

Over here the current model carb for that unit is a C1Q-S157A or Stihl 4137-120-0614.

Stihl own's Zama so generally most model carbs are only available from Stihl Directly. It retails in the states for about $40.

Latest posts

Back