Care of a New Weeping Willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttnut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My husband recently purchased a weeping willow tree. We have never had one before, but it seems to be doing quite well. My question is: are there supposed to be a profuse amount of buds over the trunk of the tree? The tree is about 8 feet tall and there are branches at the top with a little new growth, but the bulk of the new growth seems to be occurring along the trunk. Am I supposed to prune these off? Leave them? PLEASE HELP! muttnut

I'm no expert on this, but it sounds to me like your tree is in trouble. I seem to recall that trees only do that when they are desparate. I think it has something to do with root problems.

Other should be able to elaborate on this... if I am right of course.

Weeping willow

Those things will grow about any where and just love water.They will put off a long root to find a source of water and have the uncanny ability to clog drainage tile with great expertise.

So... should I water more? Fertilize? The tree looks healthy-- no leaf droop, nice silvery coloring, some new growth on the top... but this is my first time around and I know that looks can be deceiving!

A picture would help.
As for water, in general, soak the area well, then let it just dry out before watering again. Soaking would be letting a lawn sprinkler run for 1/2 hour or so, and dry would be when you poke a stick into the soil it comes out dry. With new plantings, poke a stick or finger into the root ball to check dryness, because all the roots are inside the ball, it often drys out much faster than the soil right next to the ball.

Care of New Weeping Willow-- pictures

Sorry... these pictures aren't the best. The tree is still a little too thin for my camera to focus well.
We are experiencing a moderate to severe drought here currently, so the yard looks atrocious! We have been watering the tree daily with a two gallon watering can. Our one outdoor spicket is a LONG way away, but we'll try to buy some more hose and find a way to water the way you suggested.
As for this new growth... what does someone recommend? Do I prune it off up to the "Y" in the tree? Leave it? Is it a sign of some serious problem? Any further guidance would be MUCH appreciated! THANKS!

I'd say water is a problem, you need more. The grass around the tree should be green. The roots won't grow out into that dry nasty soil, especially if your only adding water to the base.
As for the shoots, I'd leave them for now, they are making food for the tree, which it needs to survive the transplant shock. Next year thin them out a little and cut the others back a bit, and maybe by year three or four remove the rest. By then the tree will have established itself a bit better and the top will be growing more and shading the lower part of the tree.
You don't want these lower branches to become so large they are permanent, just keep them around long enough to help the tree establish. You also don't want to cut them all off, further stressing the tree.

Thank you SO MUCH for the great advice! We will water more and leave the shoots for a year plus. I appreciate your willingness to help a novice tree-grower (I certainly wouldn't go so far as to call myself an "arborist!"-- yet).

Ditto what Mr. Mass said, it needs more water. I would move the flowers to another location, they are competing with the tree for moisture and if it scarce they will win. I would suggest moving the limestone slabs? from around the tree and create a mulch ring. Mulch will help maintain some moisture and still allow air to get to tree roots. Slabs will compact soil and cause other problems.

Dadatwins said:
Ditto what Mr. Mass said, it needs more water.
*We are remedying that as we speak (watering the whole area for an extended amount of time).

I would move the flowers to another location, they are competing with the tree for moisture and if it scarce they will win.
*I have thought about that, too. Hopefully, the new watering style will help and we are SUPPOSED TO get rain for five days next week. Everyone keep your fingers crossed!

I would suggest moving the limestone slabs? from around the tree and create a mulch ring. Mulch will help maintain some moisture and still allow air to get to tree roots. Slabs will compact soil and cause other problems.
*When we planted the tree, we dug into a shallow hole in the yard and placed the tree in it. Then, we placed a large box around the hole and filled to the top of the root ball with dirt. Really, that box (not slabs) is just some landscape timbers and is barely sitting on the grass. All of our other trees have mulch around them-- I'm not sure why my husband didn't do that with this tree. No mulch, I think. I'll make that suggestion, though. Thank you for all of the good ideas!

muttnut said:
*When we planted the tree, we dug into a shallow hole in the yard and placed the tree in it. Then, we placed a large box around the hole and filled to the top of the root ball with dirt. Really, that box (not slabs) is just some landscape timbers and is barely sitting on the grass.

This might be creating problem with tree. Buds along trunk could be trees response to being buried to deeply. Willow needs LOTS of room to grow and LOTS of water. It is possible the tree is being smothered by this additional soil. Look at this link to see about proper planting methods.
Good luck.
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.asp

Thanks for the link. If there is too much dirt, just removing it to the trunk flare will help, right? We did dig a large hole and I don't think it's planted TOO deep, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure if the trunk flare is visible. I'll have to check it out once it's light again! :) And we'll be more vigilant with the watering. Your advice is much appreciated!

Back