career change, need advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm contemplating a career change to work in the tree service field, as well as studying for arborist certification. I've spent the last 8 years or so working with computer networks. I've been quite successful and make good money, but I'm bored as hell now and feel like I'm wasting my time sitting all day in front of a computer.

I hope you might throw some advice my way as to some of my following thoughts.

I've talked to a few local tree service companies and figure I'll need to start out as a groundsman at about 10/hour. This would be a significant pay cut for me but would be doable since my wife works and we don't have an over-extended lavish lifestyle or anything.

Does that sound about right? If I prove myself as a competent, reliable employee...how long until I can start climbing? I have my own gear right now, and have climbed numerous trees with SRT and DRT...as well as read the tree climbers companion from cover to cover. (I also have landscaping experience, as well as working with a plant nursury for 3-4 summers, and can work a chainsaw).

I currently make about 50 dollars/hour. I don't necessarily need to make that much in the future as this move would not be strictly about money. If I prove myself over time, and gain the right experience...can I make something in the 30-40/hour as a tree climber? more or less?

What benefit does the arborist cert bring someone? I ask because in the computer field some certs are valued (like cisco CCIE) and some have lost their luster (like microsoft MCSE).

I'm in the northwest, kitsap county, WA. Can I expect to find work all year long...or is it strike the hammer while the iron is hot, and save some money for the slow times?

Is this a bad idea : ) should I just stick with the easy money although I'm bored? You input would be appreciated...

thanks,
caveman

Caveman

There are some really good test out that will tell you more about yourself then you would have ever guessed.

It has beed decades since I've taken one, but there worth the time, when I did take mine, I found that there is just no way that I should work indoors.

If you find one, just be truthfull with your responces and it will reflect better.

Kevin

caveman said:
Is this a bad idea : ) should I just stick with the easy money although I'm bored? You input would be appreciated...

thanks,
caveman

At the top of the human food chain is the wallet, the volume of folding paper in the wallet generally will determine your state of well being.

They say money doesn't buy happiness etc but no money will buy even less!

Be wise, slide into the role, try part time, take a holiday and give it a go but I certainly wouldn't burn a bridge to $50 an hour working out a few fingers in an office that's shielded from the harsh environment and physical dangers of the worlds most hazardous job.

I believe there's a chap on this board by the name of Pantheraba who balances this same deal ... cleverly and has done some pretty cool jobs.

Ekka said:
Be wise, slide into the role, try part time, take a holiday and give it a go but I certainly wouldn't burn a bridge to $50 an hour working out a few fingers in an office that's shielded from the harsh environment and physical dangers of the worlds most hazardous job.

I believe there's a chap on this board by the name of Pantheraba who balances this same deal ... cleverly and has done some pretty cool jobs.

I reckon that'd be me. I enjoy working with trees...a lot...but I haven't given up my bread and butter job in the x-ray service and supply field (we provide whatever is needed for docs to make an x-ray...eqpt., service, film, chemicals, etc.

I think there is a lot of wisdom in what Ekka says. Work into it slowly while you "learn the ropes"...keep working on your climbing skills, read Beranek's "THE FUNDAMENTALS OF GENERAL TREE WORK." It is a 512 page reference of how much of the work is done in the treework industry.

I learned to climb in the 70's as I went through college...worked as a climber/trimmer then and kept up with it over the years since. I would do several jobs a year for friends and family, but mostly I was using the skills I first learned. It wasn't until I discovered these forums, this one and 2 others (******** and TreeHouse) that I started realizing how much treework had changed in the 30 years since I learned. I was basically isolated from the changes because I didn't have anyone else I knew that did treework and I didn't seek out others because what I did got me by.

When I started reading these forums I didn't understand a lot of what I was reading at first (some of it still makes me scratch my head at times). But after reading about all the knots that exist besides the old faithful tautline, I finally tried a Blake's hitch...a revelation on how much difference one little change could make. When I finally made my own lanyard with a Distel on the D-ring (it replaced my old prusik lanyard, 3 strand with a straight snap, no safety snap to it) I started understanding what might be possible. Now I have started using the Knut hitch (Mark Adam's article at ******** convinced me to try that) and I am amazed at how much easier it has made my ropework.

OK, that is a lot of writing there...and that is just about the rope end of it...the climbing end. There is SO much to learn about safe rigging, safe felling, using slings, redirects, PPE, proper face cuts, kerfs, etc. on and on. The Tree Climber's Companion covers a lot...Beranek covers a WHOLE lot.

"The Art and Science of Practical Rigging" (book and video series)
http://secure.isa-arbor.com/store/The-Art-and-Science-of-Practical-Rigging-Book-P152C25.aspx
taught me a lot...many of the necessary basics of safe treework are covered in ASPR...I only have the book, have not seen the videos, but I highly recommend the book.

I recommend you work on the total skill set necessary to be a safe climber...do small jobs that let you practice the skills you are reading about. My neighbor has had me trimming out her trees for her...mostly deadwooding them, but some is taking out live limbs that are growing too close to the ground. It has been a good chance to try out some techniques I read about (spiderbalancing limbs, using slings to catch small limbs and hold them while I put the saw away, etc.) Where I could just drop a limb I'll take the time to play with it, try a new technique, learn a little. I charge her but give her a really good deal...I don't charge her for my experimenting time.

Maybe you can do part time work for a tree company on the weekends...or is your current job flexible with their time? You will learn a lot from other climbers, other companies...there was one company here that was looking for a spurless climber one day a week...a great opportunity to try out the business.

But don't just jump in with both feet..that nice looking creek bottom may really be quicksand.

And, that is my 40 cent's woth.

Back