Career change?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace1974

Reaction score
Hi, folks,
First, a little background. I'm a 31-year-old journalist who is looking to shift gears in mid-career and try something new. After a lot of soul-searcing, I've been giving a lot of serious thought lately to entering the field of arboriculture. Actually, the paper I work for ran a piece on an arborist from my hometown who appeared to really enjoy his job. And the more I read about his work, the more it sounded like a great fit for me. I'm physically active, prefer being outdoors no matter what the weather, and spent a lot of time as a kid working on my folks 10-acre woodlot (mostly brush/deadfall cutting, some chainsaw work). Of course, none of that means squat when it comes to a prospective employer. So, I turn to you folks for advice.

Basically, I'm curious as to whether I can realistically expect to find an entry-level job with my limited skillset and experience. It seems that the preferred wisdom dictates that the best way to get into this line of work if you don't have a degree in arboriculture is by starting as a groundworker - true? Are there year-round, full-time positions available at the entry level? Generally, how willing are experienced arborists to assist a new worker in learning the ropes of the job, and are there possibilities for advancement as skills/training increase? Sadly, there are no colleges/universities around here that offer arboriculture degrees, so I'm limited to learning on the job in order to keep enough money coming in to meet my financial obligations.

Finally, I discovered that there is an ArborMaster course covering basic climbing and felling skills scheduled for next month in my state...would something like this be worth taking, and would it increase my odds of being hired?

Sorry for all the total newbie questions. But I am genuinely interested in learning more about the field, and this site seems like the best place to find that info. Thank you for any help!

Adam

cool

Adam.....It sounds like you may have found a career that is in line with your interests. You sound like a very intelligent guy, therefore i will assume that you would have no problems learning the ins and outs of our industry. The arbor master program maybe a great place to start, but the bottom line is the only way to truly learn is to hook up with an established and reputable company with advancement opportunity and start from the ground up. By taking that first step you will be placing yourself in an environment were you can get a CDL, learn how to climb, operate equipment, and work towards arborist certification, building credentials and skills so you can make a good Living doing what you Love.

You asked so many questions, are you really a journalist?

Don't fret not having a degree in arboriculture. Many good people I know started as a grunt w/o some fancy degree or learned the trade while working through school and stuck with it.

Find a reputable company nearby and go have a meeting. Do some research about safety standards and practices and ask a few questions at interviews. A good boss would gladly brag about safety records.

Good luck.

Someone willing to work hard, and soak up knowledge like a sponge, that doesnt even know How to crank a chainsaw is one of the best new employees you can get. Good luck in your endeavors. Oh yeah, once you get sawdust in your blood(figuratively) impossible to cure:greenchainsaw:

Thanks for the advice

Hey, folks...

I appreciate the encouragement...After nearly a decade of slinging ink, it feels like I'm stepping out on a limb (!) to take aim at a new field. But the more I read, both here and elsewhere on the Web, the more I feel like this is a line of work that could be really fulfilling and enjoyable, so I'm going to give it a shot.

That said, I do have a couple more questions I'd like to toss out there (You're right, Dakota, us reporters never stop asking em') After I take the Arbormaster course next moth, I plan on contacting a few of the outfits around the area to talk about the possibility of signing on with one of them...what kind of questions should I be asking? I'm looking for a place where I can soak up that experience and build some solid skills, so I plan to bring that out up front. Keeping your own experience in mind, what kind of questions would you be asking a prospective employer if you were just starting out in the business?

Also, a big priority for me is to make sure both myself and my co-workers remain safe. Which means that I need to be aware of common newbie mistakes and try hard not to make them. Any advice on that one?

Anyway, I apologize for the long-winded post. Thanks again to those of you who have take time to help me out on this...means a lot to me.

Good for you Ace, can't lose, when you are at your friends cottage/camping etc. and you can use the chainsaw, you are the man! Some people will see this as a stepdown, I don't. Reminds me of that old line "Don't tell my mom what I'm doing, she thinks I play the piano in a whorehouse"

If you are financially secure and are looking for a change, sure.

Otherwise there seem to be easier ways to earn a living.

Back