Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the northern grinder for $89 on sale a few weeks ago.

Me too. I got it for $89 as a replacement for the HF model; which, incidently, was working OK for me. I like the stoutness of the Northern much better. I've made a few mods (no I didn't port it) which has it working even better. The key is to realize that a tiny bit of lateral movement is possible. Start the grind just barely into the cutter. A tiny amount of lateral pressure gently sharpens it up quite nicely. A trick I came up with on the HF model. It's raining today, think I'll sharpen a couple of chains.

Read alot about grinders,,and figured I wanted something that would last me a lifetime so thats why I picked that model...Would serve all my chain needs,,and I dont grind chains everyday...
Bushings on a chain grinder is the most important thing I would look at and if a model was plastic case or metal....
Good luck on your search!!!! :)

I purchased mine last year too. I'm also happy with mine.

I got the northern grinder,just this week,and my middle wheel shakes bad too,the small when it came with was broken,I need that for my .325 chains. What kind of wheels are best and where do you get them? I have sharpened 3 chains so far, i like it ,for my own use i think it will be fine.

The Italy made MoleMab wheels from baileys are nice also and they are already dressed when you get them.

Last edited:
Thank you. i used my chains yesterday for the first time,after sharpening,and i got some learning to do. One chain pulls bad to the right cutting into the wood,I must have pushed harder on one set that when i did the opposite side.I put it back on the grinder,and made another pass on on the side it went away from,and it got better,but it still pulls.:( I am really going thru chains cutting the frozen wood,and with snow/ice on them,I keep 3 loops with me+ one one the saw and i use all in one day. I guess ill get out the 3 speed dewalt dripp with the file chucked in it again,although its really only good for quick tune ups,not a good sharpening.

Last edited:
You likely have the cutters on one side longer than the other. I just eyeball mine so far but there is a section called tooth length on the little measuring tool that came with the grinder. Maybe using calipers or even a ruler might be easier.

Baileys has the Carlton grinder which looks like a good value for an occasional user. The MAXX looks sweet but its a bit much for my needs. I'd stay away from the cheapie $79 Sharpboy, it look too plasticky.

Anyone else see the Dinosaw grinder thats like $5,000?

I hand sharpen [Granberg] all summer, then during winter I take in a bunch of chains to be machine done as by that time I have, even with care, cutters that are different lengths, etc... I did the math last week, at $8 per chain, once a yr. each, plus the 35 mile drive, twice, to take them in, and ordered a Maxx yesterday from Bailey's. It'll take me four or five yr. to break even, probably, if that long. A lot of money up front, which is why I've never bought one previously in 35 yr., but now I am eager to do my own once-a-yr. fix-up. Plus, no long drive down from the mntns.

Well, at least that's the way I convinced myself it was the thing to do, spend all that money.

I hand sharpen [Granberg] all summer, then during winter I take in a bunch of chains to be machine done as by that time I have, even with care, cutters that are different lengths, etc... I did the math last week, at $8 per chain, once a yr. each, plus the 35 mile drive, twice, to take them in, and ordered a Maxx yesterday from Bailey's. It'll take me four or five yr. to break even, probably, if that long. A lot of money up front, which is why I've never bought one previously in 35 yr., but now I am eager to do my own once-a-yr. fix-up. Plus, no long drive down from the mntns.

Well, at least that's the way I convinced myself it was the thing to do, spend all that money.

The $ savings per chain is only one part of the calculation. There's the mileage that you noted, plus the ability to sharpen them when you want - say on a rainy day. Or grind just one or two chains instead of all.

But part of it comes down to whether or not you like to sharpen your chains, or take care of your own equipment yourself, or feel that you can do a more careful job, or remove less and make your chain last longer, or just really want to own a grinder. Plus there is the residual value of your grinder. Even if you only use to to sharpen a few dozen chains, it should still be worth a few hundred dollars on Craig's List.

Philbert

Back