Chain identification and types

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike031

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi I am hoping some of you people on here can clear up some questions on different types of chain. First off I bought an old foley belsaw chain grinder model 394. The manual that came with it is very old. It gives instructions for setting up the angles for chisel chain and chipper chain.
I know what full chisel looks like and that the angels are ground at 30 and 60
I can also identify anti kickback chain which I think the angles are ground at 30 or 35 and 85 but Im not sure if this is called chisel or chipper since these angels seem to match the chipper description in the manual that I have.
My last question is how do I tell the diffrence between full chisel and semi chisel and what are the angles ground at.

I would appreciate any other information on different types of chain. I have looked at oregons chain info but it seems as if everybody uses different terms for there chain. thanks for all help

chipper chain has the top edge round instead of a solid 90 degree angle. semi chisel is a round ground chisel, and full chisel is actually square ground, in most cases, any chisel chain that has that sharp 90 degree top plate can be either ground round or square. chipper with its rounded top plate can only be round filed or ground. i hope this helps

Madsens has a VERY good article on grinding angles, with details of everything
http://www.madsens1.com/angles.htm

As far as I know, chisel and full chisel is the same thing, the "full" being a result of some sort of inflation in marketing. They can be square or round ground.
Semi chisel has a rounded off corner, and always round ground.
Chipper chain is even more rounded off, and very unusual today......

To know the angles suggested by the manufacturer, you have to identify exactly which chain model you have, but you can of course grind or file at any angles you want, provided you know exactly why (if you don't follow the manufacturers suggestion)..........

Last edited:
Round ground chisel is not semi-chisel. The Madsen's link explains that, but not very clearly. Chisel is full chisel and can be round or square ground.

Semi-chisel is differentiated by the rounded edge along the side of the tooth and can only be ground round. The two pictures in the link point out the difference w/ the top being semi-chisel, the bottom being chisel (round filed at that).

Quote from Madsen's:
"The name may not tell you if the chain is round or square, but it is common for: round = chipper, square = chisel." And this is in reference to the cutter profile, NOT the grind.

Latest posts

Back