Chains Getting Sharper.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
Have you ever had your saw chain go dull, then you look it over a bit, check for clogs, continue cutting and shortly the chain comes back to life? I've seen this happen in Shagbark Hickory more than any other wood. I always thought something in that course bark was touching up the chain a bit, no doubt--zero to hero.

How is it possible? What is happening mechanically when the edge comes back to life? I noticed on those old Soren Erickson-Stihl Videos that occasionally, he would come to the end of a log and buff one side of the chain or the other on the end of the log. I know a lot of the logging crowd is sore on the guy, but consider, Stihl is a major player and they chose a Scandinavian to do the job. I'd say each party there is qualified. I thought for sure he must be touching up the chain and I have experimented a bit on Oak, and it seems to help. Can dull chain buff out and start cutting again in this way? What are your thoughts?

Back