chainsaw ignorant , but i got a 400c 3 weeks ago

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i'm 62 transplanted city boy living in the mountains of Tazewell Va and loving it . we unexpectedly got a wood boiler about 3 months ago . i had only use a electric chainsaw a half dozen or so times prior to my 400c . the better halfs son contracted to clear power lines for several years and came over to get me started and teach me about the saw . and a week ago i brought home a county line 25 ton splitter with the kholer motor . so i'm a newbie .
thanks , Jeff

Congratulations, sounds like an upgrade in life.
When i was a newbie to using chainsaws an old guy told me , one of the biggest secrets to cutting wood is keeping a sharp chain. To do that, keep it out of the dirt , dirty wood and don't keep using it when it isn't throwing big chips and cutting well. Learn to sharpen them or carry extra chains that are sharp. Make sure your oil holes on the bar are not clogged when switching chains.
Any problems you can usually get answers to help solve them here or there.

Sounds like you have a good start on equipment. I like having an inexpensive chainsaw along also with a short bar. If u need to make some cuts that obviously risk dulling the chain it takes less time sharpening back up and smaller chains and bars are cheaper to replace. Makes it easiar keeping the bigger saw top notch so your not slowed down through your major cutting.

thanks folks .
definitely a life upgrade moving up here to the mountains !
i got the stihl 2n1 sharpener and watched videos on using it , hopefully that is suitable for my harry home owner use .
i KNOW i'll get stuck in a tree that's a big part of why i didn't get a husqvarna , that and the guys i asked about getting a saw up here rarely mentioned anything other than stihl . the inboard clutch on the stihl seemed like a big deal for someone ignorant about chainsaws . i'll keep a eye/ear open to find a used saw for backup to cut my good saw out of a tree when i get it stuck and for nasty stuff like Brushwacker suggested .
deciding on chaps now , leaning towards clogger zero wraps but haven't made a final decision yet .
i have decided on the oregon helmet , seems to have nice features and decent build quality for my use and the price allows me to budget more for chaps .

Always have a backup plan. You will get the saw stuck at some point.
Yes. Can confirm. The easiest backup plan is to just pack a scrench and an extra bar and chain. My backup plan of choice is a Silky Katanaboy 650 folding saw, which is fabulous and often useful for some cuts that are difficult or impractical with a chainsaw. There are a couple of 500mm folding saw options on Amazon for under $100 that might be worth a look, but I can't speak to their quality as I haven't tried them.

And get a helmet, chaps, hearing and eye protection. Be safe and have fun.
Also yes. Also can confirm.

the internal clutch on the stihl vs external on husqvarna was a factor on not choosing husqvarna . reading on forums about having to disassemble the clutch to get the saw out of a tree vs not having to on the stihl seemed like a big deal for someone chainsaw ignorant like me because i KNOW i'll be getting the dang thing stuck . planning on getting a 20 inch bar and chain in about 5 weeks . gotta get my PPE first

Back