Chili

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryTheCableGuy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Chili

Gather
3 tablespoons Canola oil
3 pounds stew meat
16 ounces tomato sauce
2-3 jalapenos, skin slit but left whole
32 ounces chicken broth

Spice Mix
6 tablespoons medium chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
3 bay leaves

Do
Preheat oven to 225 degrees.

Trim the stew meat of all excess fat and then season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Working in small batches, brown the meat on all sides. Don’t stir it too often, allow it to sit and get a good sear.

When all of the meat has been browned return it to the pot along with the tomato sauce, chicken broth, 1/3 of the spice mix and one jalapeño. Bring to a strong simmer the place the covered pot in the preheated oven.

Let simmer for one hour then remove the jalapeño and squeeze it’s juice back into the pot. Add another 1/3 of the spice mix and jalapeño. Let simmer for one more hour.

Remove jalapeño and add remainder of spice mix. Simmer for one more hour.

If chili is too soupy place pot on stovetop and reduce over medium heat until desired consistency is achieved.

My chili base is 1 packet of McCormick chili seasoning per 2 lbs of ingredients. Honestly I've tried a lot of other recipes and McC has a great blend of seasonings. The "original" is pretty mild and the "mild" is too mild for my taste. We usually do a ratio of 1 "hot" to 1 "original" packet for serving to kids and those who don't relish spicy food or straight "hot" for my wife and me.

8 oz of tomato sauce per 2 lbs of ingredients.

I prefer steak to ground beef. Lately roasts have been the cheapest since round steak prices went through the roof. So I will buy a roast or two and cube it up.

Cook meat in a pan then drain and place in crock pot or Dutch oven. Add chili base, onion, some garlic, green pepper, and chopped mushrooms. I will also add Ro-tel or stewed tomatoes (drained). Cook for 8 hours on low in crock pot or 4 hours in Dutch oven, stirring occasionally.

Top with sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar.

I don't use beans as to me they add zero value to the chili and cause gas.

My chili base is 1 packet of McCormick chili seasoning per 2 lbs of ingredients. Honestly I've tried a lot of other recipes and McC has a great blend of seasonings. The "original" is pretty mild and the "mild" is too mild for my taste. We usually do a ratio of 1 "hot" to 1 "original" packet for serving to kids and those who don't relish spicy food or straight "hot" for my wife and me.

8 oz of tomato sauce per 2 lbs of ingredients.

I prefer steak to ground beef. Lately roasts have been the cheapest since round steak prices went through the roof. So I will buy a roast or two and cube it up.

Cook meat in a pan then drain and place in crock pot or Dutch oven. Add chili base, onion, some garlic, green pepper, and chopped mushrooms. I will also add Ro-tel or stewed tomatoes (drained). Cook for 8 hours on low in crock pot or 4 hours in Dutch oven, stirring occasionally.

Top with sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar.

I don't use beans as to me they add zero value to the chili and cause gas.
Easy on that no pinto or kidney bean recommendation...gotta have'em. Things can get a little funky though. :laugh:

1-2 lbs Venison chunks
1 lb of ground beef
1 lb of pork
6 oz tomato paste
32 oz of whole tomatoes
16 oz of red beans
6 jalapenos chopped up
16oz beef broth
1 onion
2 bell peppers
1 12oz beer - always some sort of porter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 maple syrup

Spices: chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon if I'm in the mood

I like it sweet and spicy - not very traditional but if you like the purple bag doritos, I highly recommend adding honey and or maple syrup

Oh and I call it 3 beast sweet and spicy chili.

Real chili has no beans or tomato. It is little more than beef and chilies. Bowl of red is good stuff if you like that sort of thing.

Chili with Beans Marine grade

3lbs ground critter
2 large onions chopped
6 garlic cloves minced
2 jalapeño peppers chopped
14.5oz can of diced tomatoes
12 oz (2 small cans) tomato paste
12oz beer
1 can of beans Great northern
1 can of beans red kidney

1T yellow mustard powder
1/2t cumin
1t red pepper flakes
1t black pepper
1t cayenne pepper
1t chili pepper
1/2t baking soda
1 packet of French’s Chili-o packet (McCormick works if you can’t get French’s)

Brown meat and drain if desired or needed and set aside. Heat onions in 1 T fat and cook 3-5 over med heat. Add garlic and jalapeño. Cook till fragrant (about 1 min). Add brown meat, beer and tomato paste and simmer for 10-15 min. Add diced tomatoes and all seasonings and simmer on stove top for at least 30 min. If you are making this in a Dutch/French oven, you can place it in the oven at 250f for 30-60 min. Drain and rinse beans. Add to pot and simmer/oven 30 min more. Serve with cornbread and Tabasco.

Notes* You can use either a large (29?oz) can or a small can (16?oz) of beans with this recipe. You can use any ground meat or combo in this recipe and you do not need to drain off the fat. If you use a very lean meat (venison,turkey,buffalo) I would not drain the meat at all. Just build the chili on top of the cooked meat. You do not need to use beer. You can use water, chicken broth, beef broth, v8 juice ect. If you omit the beer, increase the amount of baking soda to 1t. The beer and baking soda are basic and help to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes to balance the dish. You can substitute a bell pepper for the jalapeno if you are a chili wuss. You can add much hotter peppers if you are chili crazy. You can also add corn to this recipe. Toss in a 9oz frozen green giant nibblets when you add the beans. If you know how to roast corn, add roasted kernels and you will really have a great dish. Sweet corn soaks up a lot of the heat. If you add the corn, I would add 1t franks red hot and 1t Tabasco.

I will also substitute my chili base with a bottle of Gates BBQ sauce. Their sauce is chili based and adds a dimension of sweetness as well.

Latest posts

Back